[SOLVED] Coming to the end of my build, which ssd?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Long story short, I want the best my motherboard will support.
I'm nearing the end of a new build.
It's a Asus dog maximus xi gene (the microatx version)
Last time I built a pc ssd drives were new and expensive.
Now I hear about m.2 and yay my board has a slot for 2 of them.
I don't know anything about m.2 ssd drives but does the same principles apply that you put your operating system on one and storage on the other?
Also who makes the best drives?

Maximus gene xi
i9 9900kf
2 x corsair dominator 3200 16Gb
Rtx2080ti

Solution
That samsung evo seems pretty good and fast. What size have you been looking on? Windows has taken currently around 32gb of space on my desktop pc and i have a ssd of 128gb. I've been able to download games and other programs on it too and i still have some space left. If you're thinking of installing just windows and some other programs a 128gb ssd should be enough. If you want to have a lot of big games on it i could recommend around 500gb+. If you're thinking of getting more then one, you could have a 128gb ssd with windows installed on it and another ssd with a half terabyte+ with games on it. It's all personal preference.
Feb 21, 2020
m.2 ssd are faster than normal sata ssd. Yes you can apply your operating system on one and storage on another. I simply have my m.2 ssd for Windows and Firefox and use my HDD disk for gaming and other stuff. I could recommend m.2 ssd from Samsung and Seagate as they often perform with minor errors.

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Yes Samsung evo
m.2 ssd are faster than normal sata ssd. Yes you can apply your operating system on one and storage on another. I simply have my m.2 ssd for Windows and Firefox and use my HDD disk for gaming and other stuff. I could recommend m.2 ssd from Samsung and Seagate as they often perform with minor errors.

Yes Samsung evo 970 plus keeps popping up. I might get a couple of those. How big a drive do you think for just windows?

Feb 21, 2020
That samsung evo seems pretty good and fast. What size have you been looking on? Windows has taken currently around 32gb of space on my desktop pc and i have a ssd of 128gb. I've been able to download games and other programs on it too and i still have some space left. If you're thinking of installing just windows and some other programs a 128gb ssd should be enough. If you want to have a lot of big games on it i could recommend around 500gb+. If you're thinking of getting more then one, you could have a 128gb ssd with windows installed on it and another ssd with a half terabyte+ with games on it. It's all personal preference.

Last edited:
Solution