Command & Conquer 3's Ion Cannon

I must be stupid. I can not figure out how to launch the Ion Cannon in Command & Conquer 3. I build the thing, then wait for the clock to count down. I have full power and I can not launch it. I have tried right click, left click, double right / left click. I have yet to get the thing to work with Nod or any other group for that matter. What am I doing wrong?

You are suppose to click the cannon right then click on where you want it to shoot. Right?

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Build Ion Cannon Control Center

The pic/button appears on the left as all other support powers, when it's ready (takes a really really long time), left click it when ready, then select an area of the map that you SEE (no fog of war).

All support powers afaik needs the location to be seen without fog.

Dang it! That makes a lot more sense. I was not clicking on that. I kept clicking on the gun on the ground. Not being able to launch that thing has cost me countless # of games. Thanks. I can't wait to play tonight.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I've got to say that the Ion Cannon in C&C3 is easily 10x better then the one in the original C&C.
That old one could only hit an area about the size of one building, the new one can smash a much larger area, and it looks cooler to

riskyfrisky

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hey on the subject of C&C....

Does anyone have a foolproof way of completing the level where you have to regenerate the GDI base and then attack NOD?

It's the level where you start out with a half-knackered base, the MCV has gone and you have to route power to the base defenses depending on where NOD attack you from.

It's doing my head in: I manage to defend the base, but then you have to send reinforcements to collect the MCV/reinforcements but i never manage to hold the base and get the MCV. If i get the MCV the base is destroyed and i don't have the troops to take the area back?

Even on easy mode lol!

Help needed and appreciated!

riskyfrisky

andy465

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I have a semi foolproof way.

Right at the start, queue up tonnes of Predators, and queue up 2 engineers, enable all light gun turrets, and most of the anti-air defences, put the rest of your infantry close to the south and west entrances.

When you have around 6 predators, lead them east and then north, and put the engineers on persuit, take out all turrets and vehicle/infantry production centres, and then get the engineers to capture the base.

Now you have the worst of it out of the way, you can easily build Nod power stations and defenses to back-up your own.

The rest I leave up to you. I tend to like the nod flying stealth infantry (can't remember the name), as they can fly over to the south western base and silently take out the power and production centres.

Get a lot of units over to the MCV before you take it, as some nod rocket infantry take over the houses when you collect.

riskyfrisky

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
andy465- ta for the help!

It sounds like a decent plan actually, i never considered offense that early on, but it may be the solution providing i'm quick enough. I did encounter the resistance when getting the MCV and really you need a whole squad just to secure the buildings.

I never thought of using engineers either.

Cheers again!
riskyfrisky

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, took me 10 tries, I eventually found a way of making a really really big force and total anihalated NOD.

The NOD stealth guys are Shadow Teams, my fav NOD unit, but im a GDI man, and Zone Troopers are my fav unit overall (besides the Mammoths lol).

What I want to know is what strategy you use to fend off the scrin's planetary destroyers. You know those ships with the force fields that launch hundreds of smaller ships.

What is the best way to take those things out with Nod while suffering minimal damage?

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007

yes the engineer rush a classic stratagy that I used meny times in the original C&C esspessialy when I had limited funds to work with, I can't believe that I didn't think about using it on that mission. I replayed that one about 10 or so times before I was able to build a force that was able to protect the MCV and it still just barely made it to the base in one peice.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

if you can get the helicopter/gunship thingys (soz can't remember names) with the lasers then they are freakishly effective if you get about 10 you can take out 2 or 3 easily

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
There called raptors i think? not 100% though and cant be bothered to look. Also.....

Does anyone else except me think that the scrin mothership you can build is a bit like a cheating unit? As it can destroy your base with 1 attack and isnt even there superweapon.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
if you have like, 2 aa turrets you can take that thing down because its too slow, and don't forget, that unit gets weaker the more you damage it. oh, memory a lan game between 3 of us, and they just ganged up on me because I expanded and took over half the map :( :lol:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
VENOMS! lol

nodvenompw9.jpg

I don't play online multi, no time to do so.

Stealth tanks? Bikes? Don't they shoot missiles and are cheap? (I usually just make 50 venoms in skirmish/singleplayer) - I beat the NOD campaign mostly by making a mass amount of Venoms.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I love the VeRtiGo BoMbErS (I typed it that way because that's what they look like to me when they're cloaked), it has one of the best unit voice in the game imo. The Venoms are just so easy to destroy the AI in the campaign.

Although one mission (the one where Tricia.. you gotta kill her or something), I just build 8 avatars and mutant marauders, I think there was way too many SAMs to build air units or something.

Build Ion Cannon Control Center

The pic/button appears on the left as all other support powers, when it's ready (takes a really really long time), left click it when ready, then select an area of the map that you SEE (no fog of war).
I finally figured out how to launch the ion cannon. I was relieved when I did it last night. I won the game too. I kept clicking on the icon of the timer instead of the ion cannon itself. I was so glad I finally got that aspect of the game figured out.

I shot that thing down on my scrin opponents power plants. 4 of them were in a cluster along with a tiberium refinnery and there were some warfactories or what ever you call them around that area that got vaporized too. That took out my opponents radar then I started nailing his planetary destroyers with Pittbulls.

What a great victory.

ANOTHER QUESTION. HOW DO YOU SET OFF THE NUKES WITH NOD? Is there a timer for the Nukes also?