Command & Conquer: Generals 2 Part of Free to Play Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
:( I was so looking forward to Generals 2, along with all of my friends I played the first one with.

All of them, like me, are no longer going to play this game. EA doesn't do F2P, they do pay 2 win and call it F2P.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
EA can't win, if they make a full price pay-for game and it's content sucks ass you will feel rightly P'd off
At least with F2P if the gameplay sucks ass you know for a fact you won't pay to carry on, you will just drop it and go to the next game
Here's an idea, how about the first couple of levels are free and if you like it you like it you can then decide to buy the full game, you know, like the shareware concept that has been floating around for over 20 FRICKEN YEARS

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I was so excited for the possibility of another GOOD CnC game (something that's yet to happen since Westwood's liquidation). And now that's basically been shattered, too: one of the things I loved the most about CnC was the single-player, which is a feature I've yet to see in a F2P game. Thanks, EA, for taking a dump on one of the best RTS franchises out there (or what's left of it, at least).

xaed

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]EA can't win, if they make a full price pay-for game and it's content sucks ass you will feel rightly P'd off...At least with F2P if the gameplay sucks ass you know for a fact you won't pay to carry on, you will just drop it and go to the next game...Here's an idea, how about the first couple of levels are free and if you like it you like it you can then decide to buy the full game, you know, like the shareware concept that has been floating around for over 20 FRICKEN YEARS[/citation]

Dude.. you just pretty much described the f2p model, contradicting yourself much?

On that note, the mentality that f2p means a game is crappy is also "20 fricken years old," and it would do a lot of people good to consider that we're probably just entering the next step in the evolution of gaming as a whole.

On that note, there's a crapton of free stuff that is of the highest quality, and their not limited to games; Filezilla, 7-zip, VLC player, to name a few. And with GW2 releasing next week, subscription based games might start losing some of their playerbase to a more attractive and affordable one.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]xaed[/nom]Dude.. you just pretty much described the f2p model, contradicting yourself much?[/citation]

His concept is completely different F2P.

His concept was pretty much you demo a good portion of the game, and if you find it good you buy the complete game.

It's no wonder the rest of your comment is clueless. Especially the last sentence.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Making it f2p will let me and others decide if its going to be a worthwhile game to purchase all the civs/perks that would eventually equal $60 bucks EA would have undoubtedly slapped onto it because of how good the first CnC Generals was.

Learned my lesson after buying into the hype of Diablo 3, /facepalm. Never buying another game until ive atleast tried a demo or "starter edition".

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]His concept is completely different F2P. His concept was pretty much you demo a good portion of the game, and if you find it good you buy the complete game.It's no wonder the rest of your comment is clueless. Especially the last sentence.[/citation]
Well spotted, glad someone is paying attention, in F2P a lot of items/weapons/etc are premium and unless you buy them cannot complete a level or progress in any way, that's how they stiff you on microtransactions
They let you hit the level, get annoyed you can't complete it and keep retrying getting more annoyed and frustrated until your ADHD kicks in and you reach for the credit card, that's when they have you and the game never ends as each new mission/level/etc has a different unique item/weapon/etc that again has you reaching for the credit card
It would be nice if they made 2 versions of the game, a F2P and premium pay-for, the F2P has all the low-calorie, fat-free, pay-as-you-go stuff and the premium pay-for has all the content up front at install
Not saying any one version is better as each has it's own fans, just I would like the choice and also sales on like-for-like would show what the actual consumer prefers - although it is never likely to happen as the F2P model has the potential to hose much more money than a fixed fee over time

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
What happened to demo's?!? That was once the way to test a game and justify if it was worth the full purchase or not. F2P in my book is a no go, i just feel as if i play the only incentive is to charge a ridiculous amount to play and then charge more for boosts which in reality defeats the purpose of playing the game. All F2P games i've played wasn't interested to spend more money after the initial game seemed lack luster of content. If CnC is among the fallen games which lets just toss out the whole AAA thing and just say stupid and stupid made it to try and make a grade A game and turned into a D-/F+.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Those premium perks and such that you buy in a F2P tend to total way more than just $60 - that's why it's a viable business model.

It's not a viable gaming model, though, because it completely destroys the balance of a game, and for some people it ruins the inherent reward of accomplishing something. Not to mention, F2P games (from what I've seen) are almost exclusively multiplayer (elsewise, how are you going to incentivize your premium BS?), so you've basically completely removed that part of the game, too. I don't find that acceptable, nor worth anywhere near $60. I would honestly rather take a $60 gamble on a game then have it be F2P - but that's my opinion.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]Thanks, EA, for taking a dump on one of the best RTS franchises out there (or what's left of it, at least)[/citation]
Started going downhill after Westwood

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
[citation][nom]mousseng[/nom]Those premium perks and such that you buy in a F2P tend to total way more than just $60 - that's why it's a viable business model.It's not a viable gaming model, though, because it completely destroys the balance of a game, and for some people it ruins the inherent reward of accomplishing something. Not to mention, F2P games (from what I've seen) are almost exclusively multiplayer (elsewise, how are you going to incentivize your premium BS?), so you've basically completely removed that part of the game, too. I don't find that acceptable, nor worth anywhere near $60. I would honestly rather take a $60 gamble on a game then have it be F2P - but that's my opinion.[/citation]

I agree that not all games work in the f2p model scheme. Age of Empires Online is the only f2p game I own and have only spent $20 out for 2 premium civilizations that get everything the whole game has to offer and im still saving $40-50 on the other civilizations i dont really care to buy and play, so ive saved myself some money.

But i agree that if the game is strictly or majorly multiplayer, f2p is a real buzzkiller

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]EA can't win, if they make a full price pay-for game and it's content sucks ass you will feel rightly P'd off...At least with F2P if the gameplay sucks ass you know for a fact you won't pay to carry on, you will just drop it and go to the next game...Here's an idea, how about the first couple of levels are free and if you like it you like it you can then decide to buy the full game, you know, like the shareware concept that has been floating around for over 20 FRICKEN YEARS[/citation]

a more modern game, fable does this, i forget which one though, where you buy the game in chapter form, and it added up to full price, first chapter was free. [citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]Making it f2p will let me and others decide if its going to be a worthwhile game to purchase all the civs/perks that would eventually equal $60 bucks EA would have undoubtedly slapped onto it because of how good the first CnC Generals was. Learned my lesson after buying into the hype of Diablo 3, /facepalm. Never buying another game until ive atleast tried a demo or "starter edition".[/citation]
was it age of empires... one of those civ like strat games went free to play, and if you wanted all the content like you would get in a normal full 60$ release, it cost you 120-180$ i forget what it was as it was a long time ago, but know it was at least double the cost and no more than 3 times.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Well spotted, glad someone is paying attention, in F2P a lot of items/weapons/etc are premium and unless you buy them cannot complete a level or progress in any way, that's how they stiff you on microtransactions... They let you hit the level, get annoyed you can't complete it and keep retrying getting more annoyed and frustrated until your ADHD kicks in and you reach for the credit card, that's when they have you and the game never ends as each new mission/level/etc has a different unique item/weapon/etc that again has you reaching for the credit card...It would be nice if they made 2 versions of the game, a F2P and premium pay-for, the F2P has all the low-calorie, fat-free, pay-as-you-go stuff and the premium pay-for has all the content up front at install...Not saying any one version is better as each has it's own fans, just I would like the choice and also sales on like-for-like would show what the actual consumer prefers - although it is never likely to happen as the F2P model has the potential to hose much more money than a fixed fee over time[/citation]

i never played a free to play where you cant earn all the weapons, but i have played f2p where you cant earn cosmetic things. really, i have yet to play a pay to win... well... i probably have but the gameplay was so bad i gave up.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Great, I can't wait to be dominated by players who are willing to shell out more money than me.

Command & Conquer has now officially turned into Pay & Conquer. Thanks for ruining the series that I enjoyed since 1995.

G

Horrible idea just as bad as EA supporting Indie, EA does not care for anyone. EA is the downfall of the industry. Figures now they pissed on one of my most beloved franchises.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Too bad this article doesn't mention the other horrors they've done to the game, such as requiring a persistent internet connection and getting rid of a single-player campaign entirely. Won't be touching this even as a F2P.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I'm a big CnC fan, besides SC. I dont see why we have to Pay-to-Play at lvl 50. This is going to be an Epic Fail if launched. Just like Final Fantasy. Stick with the originals.

If you are going Free-To-Play. Go all the way, dont stop at lvl 50. thats when everyone will go, "OK I'm done, UNINSTALL.

Free-To-Play means no monthly payment at all. Just buy special items not available in game's items shop or quest.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
F2P can be done right, look at Blacklight Retribution... the starter gun is fairly competitive and all the customization just add different play styles... that said you can buy all the weapons with the in game GP you get if you don't want to spend real life cash.

EA however is a horrid horrid company and they wont strike a balance between financially ideal and fun/balanced game play like other "Good" F2P titles. They will do whatever is best for shareholders. Why people continue to shell out money to EA, Activision, Blizzard and Kotick boggles my mind. Antichrist's of gaming folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.