Command prompt and regedit do not work

dann

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

Hey there, if I run cmd or regedit from the run command a DOS box opens up
but does nothing, it just hangs. This affects other things like ping,
nslookup and other DOS interface commands. The only way I can get some kind
of command prompt is buy typing command.com and this doesn't support ping and
what not. And to access the registry I have to type regedt32. I've run full
Virus and Spyware scans but all seems ok.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dann Rees

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC
/SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File
Checker (Sfc.exe):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy
"Dann" <Dann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey there, if I run cmd or regedit from the run command a DOS box opens up
> but does nothing, it just hangs. This affects other things like ping,
> nslookup and other DOS interface commands. The only way I can get some
kind
> of command prompt is buy typing command.com and this doesn't support ping
and
> what not. And to access the registry I have to type regedt32. I've run
full
> Virus and Spyware scans but all seems ok.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dann Rees

dann

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

Hey there, thanks for the prompt reply. However this did not fix my problem :(
If I run cmd.exe directly from c:\windows\system32 its fine. But if i type
cmd in the run command it runs c:\windows\system32\cmd.com and still hangs.

Cheers

Dann Rees