command prompt appears then disappears

Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:

--
lakim40

try in run line
cmd /k netstat
if window doesnt stay open
update & run your virus scanner

"lakim40" wrote:

> Yesterday, I opened the command prompt and it was fine.
> Today, I opened the command prompt and it opens *very briefly* and then
> closes. I've tried to open it many ways - from the start menu, from the
> run command, from the actual program file... but it all does the same
> thing. Opens for about 1 second and then closes again. :confused:
>

> --
> lakim40

Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben unclicked
(windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks In
Advance.. Ellie

"ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
> unclicked
> (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
> In
> Advance.. Ellie

right click your Start button,
select properties, customize
put a check mark at 'Display Run'

THANK YOU VERY VERY much for your "run fix", I only read your response now..
thanks again, I have my 'run' back now.. Ellie

"bumtracks" wrote:

> "ellie" <ellie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Ellie: I have a silly question.. somehow the 'run prompt' has ben
> > unclicked
> > (windows XP home), where do I find the place to click in on again Thanks
> > In
> > Advance.. Ellie
> >
> right click your Start button,
> select properties, customize
> put a check mark at 'Display Run'

ickspe

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Back to the first question... 4 years later but don't mind, I found this post when i got the same problem and didn't find any solution....till now :bounce:

My computer was infected by the virus "craddle of filth", and so the command prompt window just appear and disappear!

The solution to this is just remove this key : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun, from the registry, wich was added by the virus.

For more information about what the virus does, visit this web page "http://net-studio.org/fra/patch/patch/8-patch-pour-supprimer-le-virus-cradle-of-filth-vbe.html" (sorry it's in french)

fevertrees

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
None of these worked for me with this problem. I updated and scanned for viruses and it found nothing. I searched the registry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun and it didnt find it. I ran cmd /k netstat and that stayed open fine but didn't do anything to fix the command screen to stay open. Any other suggestions?

zaman7h

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again

Steviedee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Was just updating a game (SimCitiy Socities) with some updates being around 17mg to 174 when command opens, i see that most of the text is related to the game. should i be worried? ( the files were either .exe or winrar files)

johndugaojo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

REPLY 08/27/11

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT IN MY CASE. I JUST DELETED THIS LINE IN THE REGISTRY AND MY COMMAND PROMPT BACKS TO NORMAL AGAIN (I AM USING WINDOWS VISTA).

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

-JOHN S. DUGAOJO JR.
PHILIPPINES
johndugaojo@yahoo.com

alilua89

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
in my comp EXIT was written in value of this key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun
just delete EXIT and Your cmd is back again

GREAT!!!!! CMD works again!!!!!! THANK YOU