Command Prompt opens and closes on startup.

Tha Lettuce

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
So my problem is this: When I put my computer to sleep and wake it up and sign in everything is normal until I get to the desktop. Right as everything on the desktop appears a black command prompt appears and then closes instantly. I tested this to see if it would happen again and it did and this time I managed to see some text on it. It looked to be "ERROR" and some text after it. I am running Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security and I have my computer set to be fully scanned every night at 3am. I have did a manual full scan and everything is fine. I just find it hard that I have gotten some type of malware and it's not just a registry error of some type. Any help would be much appreciated. Also I am running Windows 8.1.

Update: I also think it may be important to tell more about some odd startup happenings I have noticed. For example, a few times I have shutdown my laptop normally then rebooted it and my icons on the desktop were all shifted to the left in columns. I had organized them specifically on my desktop before and now they were moved. This has happened 3 times and I am not sure if this command prompt thing has been happening since that started. Also this doesn't always happen either. One other thing that is strange is that there are .dat files appearing in folders and on the desktop from time to time. I fixed this by changing them to not be shown manually but they recently began to pop up again. I am not entirely sure what .dat files do but I believe it's to help your computer locate files. Anyway I hope this helps narrow this down. And thanks in advance for any help with this.

Astrosonu Higgs

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
· Are you able to open command prompt otherwise?
Follow the steps provided below to resolve the issue:
Method 1: Boot into safe mode and check if the issue persists.
Start your computer in safe mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
Method 2: You may follow the steps below to keep the command prompt open.
a. Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To open an elevated Command Prompt, click Start, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
b. Type the following command and press ENTER:
cmd /k netstat

c. Exit the Command Prompt window.

Method 3: If the above method does not resolve the issue, you may follow the below steps.
a. Right click your Start button,
b. Select properties, customize
c. Put a check mark at 'Display Run'

Method 4: Try performing SFC scan on the computer.
How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Hope this information helps.

Tha Lettuce

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Higgs I have the Command Prompt opened now and it seems to be normal. At the top it says Microsoft Windows and then the version. All the normal stuff. It's just that open and closing when I wake it up from being asleep and sometimes from shutdown to coming back on. And it's always right as the icons on the desktop appear. It's so quick I can't catch the text. And if you aren't just really looking at your screen on startup you'd miss it appearing.

Tha Lettuce

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
If I run the command prompt it stays open on it's own and I can input commands normally. This command prompt I am talking about only appears and disappears during the aforementioned times. Also I did what you said to do and it ran and stayed open as well as obeying the ipconfig command. But like I said I haven't had any problems with it working properly. It's only this mysterious command prompt opening and closing instantly on startup.

DaBandit

Reputable
May 25, 2014

DaBandit

Reputable
May 25, 2014
I've got the same thing happening on 2 of my laptops, both running win7 & I can't get a straight answer either, WTF, can someone just give a simple answer without all the buulshit??

ash_mario

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

That stuff usually happens when you have a virus. You have to uninstall programs that you haven't installed on purpose to get rid of the problem most of the time. A couple of virus scans are helpful too.

BrayMac

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Hi, i recently had the same issue and found it was microsoft office. Follow this tutorial, however disable the one he suggests as well as "at logon of any user".
Hope this helps your frustration, i know how it feels.