noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
I bought the Commander Pro and it came with 2 sticky pads but in the manual, it said not to attach them to components that could be weak to magnets. I'm left wondering if the pads themselves will influence or the Commander Pro. I put it (the commander only, without the pads) on the other side of where my SSD and HDD are currently sitting, so it only has a 1 - 3mm metal wall between them and I really don't want it dangling there.
Any help is welcome.

Solution
My thought is that maybe, at one time, magnets were used. Especially those soft, rubbery types often used for refrigerator "magnets".

Then to cut costs, they went to double sided tape which likely (again being cheap) dried out and failed to hold.

Very rare that end user documentation is updated to change, clarify, or correct User Manual instructions.

More common to be as broad and as vague as possible to shift blame for any installation problems to the end user. (Cynicism conceded.)

Velcro straps (no magnets) should work just fine. However, be sure to occasionally check their condition.

The environment (hot, dry, etc.) may cause the straps to deteriorate .

Overall, I would not be concerned about very small magnets erasing...

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about that "weak to magnets" warning.

Controller being this product?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cl-9011110-ww-black/p/N82E16811978004#

And those 2 sticky pads are possibly rubberized/flexible magnets - correct?

With adhesive on one side to stick to the controller and the other side being "magnetic" to cling to the metal wall.

The User Guide though refers to the pads as "Mounting tape" (see Page 3) and Installation Step 2 (Page 7) uses "double sided tape.

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/CommanderPRO_Install_Guide.pdf

Either way, the sticky pads are likely to be as cheaply made as possible and likely to degrade with time and heat exposure.

Mount the controller as you desire but keep an eye on it. Likely to end up dangling sooner or later.

Consider mounting the controller using Velcro tape. One strip on the mounting surface, the other on the controller.

You will likely only need a couple of small pieces - about the size of the sticky pads that came with the controller.

Should make it easier to remove the controller if that becomes necessary.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Not sure about that "weak to magnets" warning.

Controller being this product?

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cl-9011110-ww-black/p/N82E16811978004#

And those 2 sticky pads are possibly rubberized/flexible magnets - correct?

With adhesive on one side to stick to the controller and the other side being "magnetic" to cling to the metal wall.

The User Guide though refers to the pads as "Mounting tape" (see Page 3) and Installation Step 2 (Page 7) uses "double sided tape.

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/CommanderPRO_Install_Guide.pdf

Either way, the sticky pads are likely to be as cheaply made as possible and likely to degrade with time and heat exposure.

Mount the controller as you desire but keep an eye on it. Likely to end up dangling sooner or later.

Consider mounting the controller using Velcro tape. One strip on the mounting surface, the other on the controller.

You will likely only need a couple of small pieces - about the size of the sticky pads that came with the controller.

Should make it easier to remove the controller if that becomes necessary.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Ye I meant those tapes, but pads came to my mind as of writing that. It's adhesive on both sides, as both sides come with paper and it's written on it, Double coated Tissue Tape.
They are probably just some cheap pads but what caught me most off guard was this, Please refrain from mounting the strips on components (HDD, SSD) that are sensitive to magnets. which can be found in that Manual, making me wonder where the magnets are in this. I do have some velcro tabs that came with the pc but are too small to do the whole loop. Might buy the Velco Tape you are mentioning just to be on the safe side

noxinum

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Ye I meant those tapes, but pads came to my mind as of writing that. It's adhesive on both sides, as both sides come with paper and it's written on it, Double coated Tissue Tape.
They are probably just some cheap pads but what caught me most off guard was this, Please refrain from mounting the strips on components (HDD, SSD) that are sensitive to magnets. which can be found in that Manual, making me wonder where the magnets are in this. I do have some velcro tabs that came with the pc but are too small to do the whole loop. Might buy the Velco Tape you are mentioning just to be on the safe side
I actually found 2 velkro straps that did the job. They were long enough to go around and still have some space to hold the Commander Pro without needing the pads hahaha I just hope there's no magnets to erase my drives that are right behind the Commander Pro.

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that maybe, at one time, magnets were used. Especially those soft, rubbery types often used for refrigerator "magnets".

Then to cut costs, they went to double sided tape which likely (again being cheap) dried out and failed to hold.

Very rare that end user documentation is updated to change, clarify, or correct User Manual instructions.

More common to be as broad and as vague as possible to shift blame for any installation problems to the end user. (Cynicism conceded.)

Velcro straps (no magnets) should work just fine. However, be sure to occasionally check their condition.

The environment (hot, dry, etc.) may cause the straps to deteriorate .

Overall, I would not be concerned about very small magnets erasing hard drive data per se.

More likely a problem if the magnets eventually lose strength and drop themselves and/or whatever is being held into live circuit boards. Such as the motherboard.

Even iron magnets are being cheaply made.....

Solution

TRENDING THREADS