Comments on my PC build?

Bugaloo

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Hello all,
For a while now i've been researching and coming up with ideas for my first gaming PC. I don't really care about price but I want it to be awesome and last a few years. I will be mainly using it for gaming. Below is a list of the specs and I would really like some feedback on things I should change, upgrade, replace etc.

I'm about ready to buy so I'm looking for comments ASAP!
..And I know I haven't included monitor or a mouse and keyboard - i've already got those sorted!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bugaloo9/saved/#savedbuild_1377945

Dat_Robot

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Get a DDR4 Build if you want it to last long.

Take a I7-5820k and a ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EXTREME (the X99 DELUXE is also a good mobo but it is less gaming oriented)
Other than that your build is good for future.

DDR3 will still be widely used for a few years, don't worry. It is THE most used type of DDR, used for 4-6 years.

BTW I don't believe in spending 500$ for a mobo.

@Dat_Robot, OP's budget is 1300 euros, think accordingly, please.

That's too much money on the case. The motherboard can be cheaper. The PSU doesn't look good in this rig (better for low-ended rigs). The RAM is a bit expensive. So here's something majorly better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£230.00 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£99.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£117.34 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£77.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (£469.18 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£87.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.98 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.65 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1308.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 20:10 BST+0100

Dat_Robot

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

ASUS boards are much better than MSI's.

Corsair RM PSUs are of VERY good quality, but AX units are even better.

Agreed^:)
Which company, IYO, do you think have the best QC and will actually HELP you?

But the part about the G2 is right, few units are better than the Super Flower Leadex Gold platform.

Dat_Robot

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014

DDR4 is the new standard capable of putting 2x more capacity in the same stick. It is much more performant and is truly futureproof. It have a 1.2v power demand (vs 1.5 v of ddr3) and a up to a 3200 mb/s data rate.

The LGA 2011-V3 socket is the only to support ddr4 and the i7-5xxx series that have up to 8 cores!

I understand, but are you really going to pay upwards of 13-14$/GB for DDR4?
BTW making a DDR4 build will take more than 1300 euros (for a quality build).

Don't do it if the airflow is bad in the case as the ACX cooler spits hot air out inside the case. Get the reference design as the hot air is evacuated through the exhaust holes to the back of the case.

Bugaloo

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
I am going to stick with that case because I really like it and I wanna keep it for a loooonnnngggg time so to me, it's worth it :)
Should I go for an i7 over the i5 or is there not much point? I changed the PSU to the EVGA G2 as suggested. I'm pretty new to this so can someone explain what the DDR4 thing mentioned above is? Someone mentioned I should change my HDD - is it worth it? Will it make much difference?

Many thanks!

There isn't much point in getting an i7 for gaming as the extra performance is geared more toward the rendering section of computing.
DDR4 offers lower voltages and a bit better transfer speeds, but that's all you get if you are prepared to spend a lot on RAM.
WD Black HDDs are one of the best drives you can get, and with their 5 year warranty, you'll be all set. You can get lower $/GB Hdds, though.

Bugaloo

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

Thankyou so much for the help! The point of lots of RAM is because I am considering recording videos for YouTube of myself playing games and I heard that having lots of RAM is helpful for that sorta thing?

How ? Is this user preference or fact ? What specifically for example makes the Hero better than the GD65 ? There is no "best" MoBo manufacturer. Most peeps would no longer buy a PSU based upon "brand name" ..... but now most recognize that every PSU vendor out here makes some great, stuff, decent stuff, and crappy stuff.

While I still prefer Asus boards in the $225 and up range (I prefer Asus BIOS), MSI has in recent years produced more competitive product in the $125 - $225 category..... The Asus Hero for example has been running as much as $40 - $50 more than the MSI GD65 and provides the same feature set. MSI's component quality equals or exceeds Asus' in this segment.

Behwardware site monitors RMA rates for and MSI has finished with lower RMA rates than Asus.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-2/components-returns-rates-5.html

- MSI 1.5% (as against 2.3%)
- Gigabyte 1,6% (as against 1.6%)
- ASRock 2.1% (as against 2.0%)
- ASUS 2.2% (as against 1.9%)

- ASRock 1.67% (against 1.90%)
- Gigabyte 1.77% (against 2.17%)
- MSI 2.24% (against 2.11%)
- ASUS 2.34% (against 2.66%)

The differences are small enough that I would be hard pressed to say that MSI is better than Asus but the above blows the "Asus quality is better than MSI's" argument outta the water. I used nothing but Asus MoBos for over ten years. But MSI's star has been on the rise for the last cupla years....and the enthusiast community has taken notice.

MSI has been using components that meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G for some time as part of its Military Class build philosophy. Parts such as Super Ferrite Chokes that run at up to 35 degree Celsius lower temperatures, have a 30% higher current handling capacity, and a 20% improvement in power efficiency; Tantalum filled Hi-C Caps that are are up to 93% efficient; and "Dark Capacitors" that feature Lower ESR and a ten-year lifespan all tied into a PCB with improved temperature and humidity protections as part of the "Military Essentials" package......In the end MSI's Z87-GD65 is a board that comes with an expansive feature set that includes all your basics and the extras that set them apart such as the V-Check points, upper end audio, Dual BIOS ROMs, KIller Network package, Military Class IV package, and a three-year warranty. Couple that with good looks that carry the dragon theme through the board, and you have a winning combination at $189.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z87_gd65_gaming_review/15

Now and again a motherboard appears that is so obviously brilliant, and so affordable, that we wonder if anything will be able to top it. For a while that crown was held by the ASUS Sabertooth, both in X58 and then P67 variants. Then MSI stole the crown with the Z77 MPower. Looking at the Z87 GD65 Gaming we think it's going to take something extraordinary to top it, such is the perfect storm of price, performance, features and looks.

The switch to Military Class 4 has given us an extremely ready overclocker too. You're always thermally limited when overclocking and the i7-4770K is one of the most demanding around. Considering the amount of cooling we're using we think that although the GD65 is capable of bringing 5GHz from our i7-4770K you'd need a proper water loop to make the most of it.

Performance is outstanding. The stock results were a particular highlight. We know a lot of people still just like to put their CPU in and go, without overclocking it first. Despite how easy it is these days we know that the fear factor still exists. So you'll be glad to know that the MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming really rocks hard even at stock settings. Naturally the overclocking is blistering too, with some OC3D records broken.

MSI have laid the gauntlet down to all the other manufacturers. Gorgeous to look at, blistering performance and all at a very affordable price, the MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming is not only the new benchmark for Z87 motherboards, but probably for all motherboards.

Again, I'm not saying that the MSI boards are an overwhelmingly better choice that Asus. There's no data to support that. Only point is the quality issue is not only unsupported but strong evidence exists to the contrary. Looking at the Hero and GD65, they have pretty close to an identical feature set, both have very good quality components and both perform equally well. The GD65 tho just has one things going for it that the Hero doesn't.....it's $35 cheaper.

If you are sketchy at overclocking, one thing to note for gaming is that the i7 is clocked 0.5 GHz higher. Otherwise it's strictly a cost things .... If ya have an extra $100 to throw around, I;d use it elsewhere before I'd get an i7.

I'm curious about the DDR4 recommendation as I am not sure how you get 288 pin X99 memory in a 240 pin Z97 mother board. As to the HD, did you look at the chart I linked ????

Seagate SSHD loads ya games at 9.78 MB/s
WD Caviar Black loads them at 6.34 MB/s

The cost the same amount and one is more than 50% faster

The published documentation above says otherwise....so no, it is not a fact.

Asus' 2.2 % failure rate is bigger than MSI's 1.5%
Asus' 2.34% failure rate is bigger than MSI's 2.24%

I'd be happy to read any published documentation you can provide saying otherwise.