Comments on proposed PC build?

MD-PA

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
What with laptops and tablets and smartphones, I haven't upgraded my desktop -- a very old MSI 7666 Xpower with 6GB and a Radeon 5700 – since adding a SSD boot drive a few years ago.

Needs: I was once but (obviously) now am NOT much of a gamer, do NOT have overclocking or video editing in mind. I do churn through multi-TB textbases a lot, scan and edit a lot of TIF-size stills, feed household TVs via a PLEX server and Roku streaming. None of that is painfully slow with the present system.

Now, while keeping the two monitors @1920x1080 and a ton of HDD storage (mostly external on USB3 now), I want to upgrade the core, looking at a sub-$400 initial buy:

- Asus PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX mobo, 2x8 GB Crucial DDR4-2666

- Ryzen 5 2400G w/ bundled Wraith cooler -- the CPU’s Radeon Vega graphics should be enough of a step up from what I’m used to that I don’t anticipate getting a graphics card

- Cooler Master N200 mini tower case -- mostly to take up less space than the old Lian Li ATX full tower, shouldn’t need much cooling without many cards/HDDs inside

For now I’ll migrate the 500W power supply and SSD boot drive, go to a new PSU and M.2 SSD when those show any signs of age.

Any obvious incompatibilities, over- or underkill? Comments and suggestions welcomed.

MD-PA

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012

OK, Corsair DDR4-3200 it is. Thanks!