Commercial Quality Capture Cards that do MJPEG?

Are there still any quality capture cards (for commercial video
capturing) that can still capture video in MJPEG format? Been
attempting to find one but it seems like the majority of the cards out
there only capture in MPEG-2 format these days. I wanted some
extremely high-quality captures that I could eventually encode to a
smaller filesize, preserving the quality of the video without some of
the pixellation problems I have encountered in the past (using
MPEG-2). From what I've been able to find out from talking to people
who do alot of video capturing - MPEG-2 format appears to be more
dominant these days in the video market, primarily due to the fact
that the captures are in a smaller filesize. Unfortunately, the
trade-off here being the resolution quality of the video you capture
suffers somewhat. MJPEG (AVI format) allows a user to capture
extremely high-quality video, but unfortunately the size of the raw
capture files tend to be in the gigabyte range and you get extremely
large files. I've done a few captures using an ATI capture card at
home and have gotten great results (for my personal use), but I wanted
to try to find out the pricing for a commercial-grade quality card for
capturing video from an analog or digital source, that I can
eventually edit and transfer onto a DVD (as part of a proposed video
service).
If anybody has any information, please post a reply.
Thanks in advance,
Eldric

Eldric Bach wrote:
> Are there still any quality capture cards (for commercial video
> capturing) that can still capture video in MJPEG format? Been
> attempting to find one but it seems like the majority of the cards out
> there only capture in MPEG-2 format these days. I wanted some
> extremely high-quality captures that I could eventually encode to a
> smaller filesize, preserving the quality of the video without some of
> the pixellation problems I have encountered in the past (using
> MPEG-2). From what I've been able to find out from talking to people
> who do alot of video capturing - MPEG-2 format appears to be more
> dominant these days in the video market, primarily due to the fact
> that the captures are in a smaller filesize. Unfortunately, the
> trade-off here being the resolution quality of the video you capture
> suffers somewhat. MJPEG (AVI format) allows a user to capture
> extremely high-quality video, but unfortunately the size of the raw
> capture files tend to be in the gigabyte range and you get extremely
> large files. I've done a few captures using an ATI capture card at
> home and have gotten great results (for my personal use), but I wanted
> to try to find out the pricing for a commercial-grade quality card for
> capturing video from an analog or digital source, that I can
> eventually edit and transfer onto a DVD (as part of a proposed video
> service).
> If anybody has any information, please post a reply.
> Thanks in advance,
> Eldric

dps/Leitch have been doing this for several years with their
Reality/Velocity line.
It ain't cheap though :-(
Product info at http://tinyurl.com/2dbxy
Some current pricing at http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/DPS.html
Check E-Bay as systems come up there periodically. Just checked and there's
one. Asking price is $8,000.00

Mike

Mike

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrotf:

>Eldric Bach wrote:
>> Are there still any quality capture cards (for commercial video
>> capturing) that can still capture video in MJPEG format? Been
>> attempting to find one but it seems like the majority of the cards out
>> there only capture in MPEG-2 format these days. I wanted some
>> extremely high-quality captures that I could eventually encode to a
>> smaller filesize, preserving the quality of the video without some of
>> the pixellation problems I have encountered in the past (using
>> MPEG-2). From what I've been able to find out from talking to people
>> who do alot of video capturing - MPEG-2 format appears to be more
>> dominant these days in the video market, primarily due to the fact
>> that the captures are in a smaller filesize. Unfortunately, the
>> trade-off here being the resolution quality of the video you capture
>> suffers somewhat. MJPEG (AVI format) allows a user to capture
>> extremely high-quality video, but unfortunately the size of the raw
>> capture files tend to be in the gigabyte range and you get extremely
>> large files. I've done a few captures using an ATI capture card at
>> home and have gotten great results (for my personal use), but I wanted
>> to try to find out the pricing for a commercial-grade quality card for
>> capturing video from an analog or digital source, that I can
>> eventually edit and transfer onto a DVD (as part of a proposed video
>> service).
>> If anybody has any information, please post a reply.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Eldric
>

>dps/Leitch have been doing this for several years with their
>Reality/Velocity line.
>It ain't cheap though :-(
>Product info at http://tinyurl.com/2dbxy
>Some current pricing at http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/DPS.html
>Check E-Bay as systems come up there periodically. Just checked and there's
>one. Asking price is $8,000.00
>
>Mike
>
>Mike

Not used to this bottom posting but here goes. :) There is a
possibility I may soon be putting my Velocity/Reality/ system with the
3D Option up for sale. It hasn't been used since I upgraded to a
Quattrus. Just to let the original poster know, I'll probably be
asking around $2000 or a little less for the boardset and software if
I decide to do it.

Craig Townsend

--
Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

Craig Townsend wrote:
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrotf:
>
>> Eldric Bach wrote:
>>> Are there still any quality capture cards (for commercial video
>>> capturing) that can still capture video in MJPEG format? Been
>>> attempting to find one but it seems like the majority of the cards
>>> out there only capture in MPEG-2 format these days. I wanted some
>>> extremely high-quality captures that I could eventually encode to a
>>> smaller filesize, preserving the quality of the video without some
>>> of the pixellation problems I have encountered in the past (using
>>> MPEG-2). From what I've been able to find out from talking to people
>>> who do alot of video capturing - MPEG-2 format appears to be more
>>> dominant these days in the video market, primarily due to the fact
>>> that the captures are in a smaller filesize. Unfortunately, the
>>> trade-off here being the resolution quality of the video you capture
>>> suffers somewhat. MJPEG (AVI format) allows a user to capture
>>> extremely high-quality video, but unfortunately the size of the raw
>>> capture files tend to be in the gigabyte range and you get extremely
>>> large files. I've done a few captures using an ATI capture card at
>>> home and have gotten great results (for my personal use), but I
>>> wanted to try to find out the pricing for a commercial-grade
>>> quality card for capturing video from an analog or digital source,
>>> that I can eventually edit and transfer onto a DVD (as part of a
>>> proposed video service).
>>> If anybody has any information, please post a reply.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Eldric
>>

>> dps/Leitch have been doing this for several years with their
>> Reality/Velocity line.
>> It ain't cheap though :-(
>> Product info at http://tinyurl.com/2dbxy
>> Some current pricing at http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/DPS.html
>> Check E-Bay as systems come up there periodically. Just checked and
>> there's one. Asking price is $8,000.00
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Not used to this bottom posting but here goes. :) There is a
> possibility I may soon be putting my Velocity/Reality/ system with the
> 3D Option up for sale. It hasn't been used since I upgraded to a
> Quattrus. Just to let the original poster know, I'll probably be
> asking around $2000 or a little less for the boardset and software if
> I decide to do it.
>
> Craig Townsend

Craig, you're making me very very jealous :) You guys are switching over
to Qs all over the place and I'm still stuck with a plain old Velocity - on
a P3 833 no less - with no chance of an upgrade in the near future :-(
BTW, if anybody's interested, I'd trust this guy 110% for any sale.

Mike

Well, I emailed dps/Leitch concerning some information about some of
their video capture cards - really only require the hardware and just
enough software to get the card to function correctly as I already
have a capture program and editing program which I plan on using, just
haven't heard back from them yet. Does anybody happen to know of any
other companies that still make a capture card able to capture video
in MJPEG format for commercial purposes?

BTW, thanks again for all your help, people. Everytime I try to find a
site with any information online, the card is either geared toward the
"At-home" consumer, or the card is really geared toward capturing in
MPEG-2 format. Drives me insane that I can't find a card that I can
use to capture files in AVI format for commercial production and
editing.

Eldric

The DPS/Leich products are full professional. The Reality and Quattrus
come with the Velocity NLE software and IMHO, should be the only
editing software used with it. The hardware isn't made really to work
with software like Premiere, though a few people have done it with the
Reality card. Never made sense to me. :)

Craig Townsend

eldricbach@hotmail.com (Eldric Bach) wrotf:

--
Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrotf:

>> Not used to this bottom posting but here goes. :) There is a
>> possibility I may soon be putting my Velocity/Reality/ system with the
>> 3D Option up for sale. It hasn't been used since I upgraded to a
>> Quattrus. Just to let the original poster know, I'll probably be
>> asking around $2000 or a little less for the boardset and software if
>> I decide to do it.
>>
>> Craig Townsend
>

>Craig, you're making me very very jealous :) You guys are switching over
>to Qs all over the place and I'm still stuck with a plain old Velocity - on
>a P3 833 no less - with no chance of an upgrade in the near future :-(
>BTW, if anybody's interested, I'd trust this guy 110% for any sale.
>
>Mike

Well, a "plain old Velocity" sure earned it's way for me- and I even
started it off in a 350 PII. LOL. The Q really is nice though, have to
admit, and it is ideal for my uses. BTW, thanks for the good
reference- I'm sure that'll cost me up the road. LOL. Take care.

Craig
--
Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

Hello,

There are several inexpensive MJPEG software CODECs available on the market.
My company, Pegasus, has the fastest and highest quality one, PICVideo.
PICVideo can easily compress in real time from your live source. Version 3
was just released last week and is free to test, $28 to register for
non-commercial use, or $99 to register for commercial use. Further,
Pegasus is offering a limited time, competitive $14 upgrade for anyone who
has an older Pegasus or any other MJPEG CODEC. Just type the name of the
CODEC you own, and the price is $14.

http://www.pegasusimaging.com/picvideomjpeg.htm

Hope this helps,
jack