Commodore Founder Jack Tramiel Dies at 83

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]redeye[/nom]my guess is if the video game crash of 83 had not happened Apple would've made a better gaming computer(to complete with the Commodore 64) maybe even a console and we would have better gaming machines 25 years earlier. IMAO.[/citation]
But you did get a better gaming machines that started with the Atari 520ST and Amiga 1000, and these two were also the first to launch OSs with color. And if memory serves me right the Amiga 1000 was the first computer able to output a 12bit image. So they were fantastic at that time to play games. The sound of these were also ahead of it's time.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]In 1928 WWII hadn't started yet, people were still living in the aftermath of WWI.[/citation]
No, He was born in 1928. The life he lived after that is refering to WWII. He didn't age backwards in time to live during WWI.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I still have my C64, the 1541 died with it's boots on, so I got a 128 and it's 1571 too. Still working.

NEVER SET THEM ON FIRE. BUT FIRE'EM UP!

I was just waiting to finish the living room to plug them on the DTS 6-stereo and the LCD.

No wonder those times were magic.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
man...loved my C64.

I had cases of disks with games; waiting hours for "disector" to copy them.

I remember Mail Order Monsters taking a VERY long time to load (over half an hour)...great day when I got my mom to buy me the "Fast Load" cartridge :)

miqronaut

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
RIP, father of the "Jackintosh" Atari ST. "Power without the price." Built-in MIDI. The rivalry between the 520ST and Commodore Amiga kept me obsessed back in the day, but I wish the Jack/Commodore/Miner drama would have played out differently...united in taking on Apple's Mac and MS's originally lousy Windows 1.0.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]redeye[/nom]know your history,(this was around the time of the original Apple Inc. before NeXT computer, Pixar, and the mac) Apple was competing with the Commodore PET. while the insides of the Commodore PET IMO seemed to be more Business oriented... The Apple II computer was alot better at game playing... it was color... My brother still has that Commodore PET 4016 in Storage lol. and an apple II clone.my guess is if the video game crash of 83 had not happened Apple would've made a better gaming computer(to complete with the Commodore 64) maybe even a console and we would have better gaming machines 25 years earlier. IMAO.[/citation]
I think your history isn't too hot either....APPLE did have a console...it was called the PIPPIN. Made by Bandai i believe, but bombed miserablly. Not sure if it was available in the states or not. Apple probably don't want anyone to remember it anyway.

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]man...loved my C64.I had cases of disks with games; waiting hours for "disector" to copy them. I remember Mail Order Monsters taking a VERY long time to load (over half an hour)...great day when I got my mom to buy me the "Fast Load" cartridge[/citation]

I on the other hand had a cassette version of Raid Over Moscow. Raid Over Moscow had some kind of built in cassette fast load mechanism that made it very VERY sensitive to tape head misalignment.
I had a small screwdriver that I used to make fine adjustments to the tape head whenever Raid Over Moscow failed to load.
I had to endure one more year of begging until my dad finally got me a disc drive. Unfortunately , the drive was a C64 compatible Enhancer 2000. It was faster than the 1541, but it failed to run a lot of copy protected games like Impossible Mission 2 and Karateka.

levi_pl

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
[citation][nom]redeye[/nom]
[...] The Apple II computer was alot better at game playing... it was color... [/citation]

No, no, no ... it couldn't because it sucked. High price, mediocre design - do some research and you'll find how Apple struggled to even sell it. This is nowhere near a good gaming computer was back then (as VIC-20 or later C-64). Mind that Apple was selling II for 11 years because of catastrophic failure which was Apple III so it overlaps well with VIC-20 and C64 ...

PS. This is the time when Apple started lying to people - they claimed Apple II is best selling computer while PET machines were selling way better - worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS