Commodore Founder Jack Tramiel Dies at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly Boots

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
A legend will be missed.

"Tramiel was originally from Poland, born in 1928 to a Jewish family living in the war-torn turmoil of World War II."

Think you meant World War I.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
RIP Jack Tramiel.

Well done article, Tom's. Thank you.

Without Pioneers like Jack Tramiel, this world would be a colder place.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
[citation][nom]silly boots[/nom]A legend will be missed."Tramiel was originally from Poland, born in 1928 to a Jewish family living in the war-torn turmoil of World War II."Think you meant World War I.[/citation]
1928 was post WWI.
Why not re-read the article and browse Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWII

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]utengineer[/nom]RIP I will fire up my C64 in tribute.[/citation]

I don't have my C64 anymore. I will fire up my CCS64 emulator instead. :(

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]moonzy[/nom]1928 was post WWI. Why not re-read the article and browse Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWIhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWII[/citation]
In 1928 WWII hadn't started yet, people were still living in the aftermath of WWI.

eric_son

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Back in '89 we got a PCXT Clone. Afterwards, my dad sold my C64, all my cassettes and discs, and a box that had 2 years worth of Compute! Gazzette.
Sigh...

coreym72

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Only if Commodore and Atari worked together instead of against we'd all be using Motorola CPUs and IBM and Apple wouldn't have much of anything today.

I met him once at a computer show in I think 1985 where a group of us criticized him for purchasing Atari when the Amiga was a much better computer, he tolerated our criticism with good humor and said "time will tell who was right" and as it turned out we were both right.

Desert Eagle

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
RIP Mr. Tramiel. C64 was my second computer and I learned machine language programming on it. In fact I wrote a simple assembler program in Basic since I couldn't find one to buy. The C64 was so easy to program. I wouldn't have a clue how to in a modern computer.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]I met him once at a computer show in I think 1985 where a group of us criticized him for purchasing Atari when the Amiga was a much better computer, he tolerated our criticism with good humor and said "time will tell who was right" and as it turned out we were both right.[/citation]

I met him a long time ago as well. Nice guy. I was really bummed that they bought the Amiga and brought it into Commodore though. Commodore had a lot of good points, but marketing wasn't one of them. I doubt they could sell free beer at a Superbowl.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
[citation][nom]coreym72[/nom]Only if Commodore and Atari worked together instead of against we'd all be using Motorola CPUs and IBM and Apple wouldn't have much of anything today.[/citation]

know your history,(this was around the time of the original Apple Inc. before NeXT computer, Pixar, and the mac) Apple was competing with the Commodore PET. while the insides of the Commodore PET IMO seemed to be more Business oriented... The Apple II computer was alot better at game playing... it was color... My brother still has that Commodore PET 4016 in Storage lol. and an apple II clone.

my guess is if the video game crash of 83 had not happened Apple would've made a better gaming computer(to complete with the Commodore 64) maybe even a console and we would have better gaming machines 25 years earlier. IMAO.

G

THis thing about Auschwitz, never knowing for sure, If it helps anyone, with the Mengele thing, here is something that has taken me five weeks research a decade ago to start off, and a decade of thought since leading to this, http://web.mac.com/beachhutman
I honestly hope it answers a few questions about what was going on then, and since. And the lesson it teaches me, with a aged personal history, is a life is important. Some are tall poppies, but we need to stand together and support our pasts, our presents and our futures whatever life throws at us.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]NEW10 CM = 020 ?"RIP Jack Tramiel"30 CM = CM + 140 IF CM < 64 then 2050 ENDRUN[/citation]
Now that brings back many memories. Thank you.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
RIP Jack.

I first cut mu teeth on a Vic 20, then moved to a C64, then the 128 version, then Amiga.

It was the 6502 processor, htne the 6510 with relocatable memory, and the SID chip was a blast too.

My 1541 disk drive with fan mounted on back, LOAD "*",8,1

Sprites, splitting the raster with interrupts, Compute, Gazette, then Run.

Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.