[SOLVED] Common screws? Or proprietary?

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
It is a long story, but I just moved from the US to rural southern Chile. I had my computer sent to me in my shipment. It is an MSI Z170 motherboard with an Intel CPU, and a BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF cooler. It seems strange, but someone removed three of the CPU Cooler mounting screws from the motherboard during the shipment (maybe someone tried to steal it in customs? I don't know). I am not a computer expert. I only know I need to pull the CPU cooler, re-apply thermal paste, and then reset it. But will these likely be normal screws I can find when I drive to the nearest city? Or are these special proprietary screws that I need to get from the manufacturer (so save a trip)? Thank you.

Solution
I think most likely they are a standard thread.
I don't see any reason why a manufacturer would use a proprietary thread.
I'm not saying it's not possible.....I just don't see a reason for it and I don't see it as likely.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Ok, that's good to know! I was wondering if perhaps they use unusual sizes or something. But if it is all standard, then I should just pull the remaining screw, take it into town, and hopefully they can match it up. Thank you

Ok, that's good to know! I was wondering if perhaps they use unusual sizes or something. But if it is all standard, then I should just pull the remaining screw, take it into town, and hopefully they can match it up. Thank you
You're welcome.
I think they most likely are a standard metric or english thread.
Most all screws used in PCs are a standard thread of some sort.