Communications Controller driver issue (I think)

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I am a first-time new builder of a fresh 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machine with an Asus P9X79 WS motherboard. When you click Start, Devices and Printers, under the Devices category is an icon labeled with the name I gave my machine and a “!” in a yellow triangle. When I right click and select Properties then the Hardware tab, the first item listed (with the same “!” in a yellow triangle) is

PCI Simple Communications Controller
Location = PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0
Device Status = “The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)”

Clicking Properties then Update Driver finds nothing.

Clicking the Details tab and choosing Hardware Ids shows:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&SUBSYS_84EF1043&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&SUBSYS_84EF1043
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D3A&CC_0780

Clicking the Details tab and choosing Physical Device Object Name shows

\Device\NTPNP_PCI0009

Choosing both the Install Date and the First Install Date show the same date and time that is just after I installed and ran some programs with Samsung SSD Magician, such as Over Provisioning, but I don’t know if this has anything to do with the problem as I was also doing other things as this is a new build.

I went to the Intel site and ran their scan and updated Intel 82579V & 82574L based Network Controllers even though they said OEM (and I likely should have gotten them from the Asus site). This apparently caused no harm but it did not correct the problem. (Then I thought I did the wrong thing so I went to the Asus site and tried to download their drivers and couldn’t do it because, it said, I already had newer drivers.)

Someone mentioned on another board to update the Intel Management Engine Interface. I went to the Asus site and found it under Utilities with a date of 7/18/2012. I thought I had the problem solved … but nooooo. After downloading and running I got the message:
“Error This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.” (I have the Xeon E5-1620, and 64 GB of ECC.)

Like I said, I’m new at this, and I am now exhausted from all the research and trial and error. How can I precisely identify what needs to be done here?

Solution

I realize this may be a little late, but I wanted to make a quick reply if there are any out there that have the same question.

The MEI driver is actually located in the "chipset" category for the asus site. It can be a little hidden because it is under the board chipset, and makes you think twice before looking since old installs are dsiplayed below the top-most current one. There is also an MEI firmware update under the "firmware" category and this can only be applied once you have the MEI driver installed.

Installing MEI should get rid of the PCI Simple...
You are on the right track by searching those strings, figuring out what they mean (PCI Simple Communications Controller and Intel Management Engine Interface) and then trying to install those things off of ASUSs site.

Intel Network Cards - you can probably hit "Roll Back Driver" in the hardware manager under the network card properties and get back to the previous ones and then try to do the ones from Asus again.

Other stuff - I would just download everything from Asus's site particular to your board and OS and then try to install them all one at a time.

Sometimes one driver is dependent on another one being installed too, so if you don't have the first one the second won't recognize even with the right driver installed.

Sounds like you just need to find the one that isn't done and the others will probably detect afterwards. Often the best way to do that is just trial and error.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

OK, I just did all that and there was no change. But thanks for your reply.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

I had already done that. But just in case I went ahead and did it all again. There's no change with the message from the PCI Simple Communications Controller. I believe I now have all the Asus motherboard updates.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Yes.
The BIOS didn't update; it sent the message that I already had the latest.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Yes, I have the CD. And I already installed AI Suite II.

And one more thing. The machine seems to be working well; there are no problems so far.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

I'm assuming the Intel Management Engine DRIVER is not the same as the Intel Management Engine INTERFACE that I already tried (see above) from the Asus site.

I've been looking this driver on the Asus site to no avail. However, they seem to be available on the Intel site here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

but not for my board. I see Intel 6 Series Chipset Boards, 7 Series Chipset Boards, etc., but not for my Intel X79 Express Chipset Board. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right things.

Thanks, Smeg, this might be getting closer to the solution.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

I'll take another look at the CD and keep trying to find a solution short of reinstallation. Thanks for these suggestions.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
And now there's a new problem. Apparently, with all these uninstalls, updates, re-updates and attempted updates this machine will no longer stay asleep. It sleeps for only ~ 2 minutes then wakes by itself. According to Windows' Event Viewer:

Wake Source: Device -Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 - 1D18

Great, now how do I stop this?

It may fix itself. Both my computer and my wife's computer have historically had very little problems with entering and exiting sleep mode. Yesterday we both came in our rooms to computers that had not gone to sleep the night before. Today when we went into our rooms they were both off again.

It happens sometimes, my guess is related to windows updates or something.

Or it could be something else, but I really wouldn't worry about the sleep thing till you got the other stuff sorted out.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

X79 is the "7" series chipset as far as I can tell. Get the DRIVER. Install and reboot.

I am pretty sure that 7 series is NOT X79.

I am pretty sure that it only covers H77, Z77, and similar boards meant to hold 1155 Ivy Bridge chips.

Not that the specified update won't work, it might. However, it is definitely not designed for X79. If he installs it on his X79 system, it could do bad things for his OS.

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Well, I'm giving up. I am going to reinstall Windows and start from scratch. I've learned some good lessons here and I want to thank Smeg and Raiddinn for all their assistance.

Best regards,
JP

avolkov

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I realize this may be a little late, but I wanted to make a quick reply if there are any out there that have the same question.

The MEI driver is actually located in the "chipset" category for the asus site. It can be a little hidden because it is under the board chipset, and makes you think twice before looking since old installs are dsiplayed below the top-most current one. There is also an MEI firmware update under the "firmware" category and this can only be applied once you have the MEI driver installed.

Installing MEI should get rid of the PCI Simple Communications Controller issue.

I have the asus p8z77-v pro board myself.

Also, related to this blunder, there are two usb drivers, one for Intel and one for Asmedia, and the same goes for SATA. Installing both should remove the device manager issue with the related items.

hope this helps

Solution

jpatth

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012

Well, I had given up in exhaustion. But your reply motivated me to take another stab at solving this issue.

I took a look at the Asus site and I saw there was a new MEI driver with a later date than the one that originally repeatedly failed to install giving the error message as stated in my original post. So I gave it a go and Voila!, it installed uneventfully and solved the problem.

(Interestingly, installation of this MEI driver yielded the apparent elimination of the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" listing itself. At least I couldn't find it anywhere.)

So the whole problem costing us all this time and effort was an incorrect MEI driver posted by Asus. And in a way I'm glad I gave up as no amount of trial and error would have solved that.

Thanks, avolkov, and best regards.

avolkov

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

no problem. alls well that ends well right?

xninelives

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hey guys I'm having the exact same issue. I fixed the pci simple communications error but not the waking issue from sleep mode. I've already found that it was the same thing waking the computer. Device -Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 - 1D18. Please help I've installed the Intel MEI software.