Community change committe

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Hi everyone,

I'll get straight to the point. The community manager idea isn't exactly working for us regular forum users. The whole approach that our forum community is at the will of a sole foreigner with hardly enough THG forum experience is horrible. (No offense intended to JustinBlue). How can you let one person take control of an entire community? We need people who understand the forum, the way it works, the bug, glitches and general gripes of the forum. We as a community need to be represented by our own, people who understand.

So here's my proposition, for the creation of a community change committee, a group of highly esteemed individuals elected democratically by the forum community themselves rather than by BoM management. A representative group of the community, designed to communicate our worries and woes to BoM and ultimately to influence the development and improvement of the forum community. People who can talk directly to their management. People who will change the face of Tom's hardware for the better.

How can we let other people make decisions for us as a community?

It's American Independence all over again!

We need to stick up for ourselves as a community. As a democracy.

We need to fight for our liberties.

We need change.

TheViper

Distinguished
Don't like me already? :(

Just kidding. I don't even know if I have the job yet or not.

What if the Community Manager did just that? Formed a consulting group of the storied veterans? An advocacy group to help ensure the interests of the members are heard and considered by the higher ups.

Even if they did allow a 'community change committee' someone would need to be pointman to lead the committee and represent them with BoM. In essence, you'd end up with a Community Manager anyway but one they'd have no role in selecting.

The other issue is simply that the role goes beyond the forums. The social media aspect, forum staff meetings, contest operations, forum/main site integration, etc... The Community Manager's full role would not be covered by a 'community change committee' meaning they'd still need to hire someone anyway.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well, if a community manager did just that, they'd be a darn good one for a start.

What I'm talking about is the community managers from other forums. You're a million times more preferable than any of them? Why? Well simply because you are one of us, not some BoM hired person.

As a community, we don't want BoM electing our leaders for us. It's a puppet government system then. Even just letting us as a community electing the manager would be great. How many of us are fond of having a community manager we've never even seen or met?

I'm just saying though, more minds are better then one when it comes down to your job. No offense.

TheViper

Distinguished

I wasn't going to say it but that came to mind almost instantly, lol.

This wouldn't be the first time I've created a Forum Representative system.

I still need to be hired though. Come on BoM. Not fair making me wait all weekend to find out. This is your cue to inundate your BoM leaders with a recommendation on someone's *coughminecough* behalf.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Oh c'mon we are the community for goodness sake.

If they kill the community, Tom's will die.

TheViper

Distinguished
How many companies do you know that aren't involved with the hiring of their own employees? Outside of outsourced temp staffing I mean.

EDIT:
Concerned Community Change Committee - C4.

randomizer

Champion
If I was paying someone to paint my house, I wouldn't want my neighbours deciding who should be hired.

EDIT: This is why they have HR people! You don't hand out fliers asking the local residents who you should pick for a position :lol:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well, it's more like you're building a charity a PC. It's not for yourself, it's for the community. It's a totally different issue.

You'd let the charity tell you what THEY want from the PC, what software they will run.

Your analogy is taking the whole thing out of perceptive.

I think the best you can hope for is a community manager that will take suggestions (seriously), or possibly even let a community group form to choose the best recommendations for him/her to look through.

If you look at successful sites, like Extreme systems, or Anands, or Tech Power Up, all 3 have certain people in charge whove been there done that, know tech from top to bottom, or enough to assign the right people in the right spots.
Those right people arent always the ones getting paid, but theyre the right people anyways, and the community leaders of each site knows this, and it works quite well.
As a mod, I hope to be a asset of Toms, and theres plenty of Mods that definately are, as we arent just relegated to babysitting and nothing more.
Having a com director using that knowledge, and this approach can have positive effect for Toms, and it give good direction as well, and would of course need some fine tuning, but I say, go for it

TheViper

Distinguished

I do now.
Guess I won't be helping you guys after all.

Good luck with whomever they selected.

I wonder who itll be?
Im hoping theyre at least reading this, and have the guts to be here on the forums with us, making Toms a better place, as no 1 single person can have as well and idea, as those of the many.

TheViper

Distinguished

That's something that has surprised me as well.

I figured all us guys competing for the position would be working the forums over to learn the community and get to know everyone but I've only seen 1 other person that applied post a few times (6 times to be exact) and he didn't get the job either.

TRENDING THREADS