Community help to solve slow internet connection.

Radioactive Gamer

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Please read first.

So here is the deal, every other device in the house is getting a decent download speed even on wireless connections, but for some reason my gaming desktop is slow and speed test have even shown a download speed as low as 1 mbps. Technically, my ISP plan is rated at 100 mbps although I am not going to get even close to that on a wireless connection, or at least with the wireless cards my devices have. However, I cannot figure out why my desktop download speed is so slow, especially on an a direct Ethernet connection. Thanks for your help in advance. This is a random occurring event whereas this was not an issue until yesterday.

Note: The modem is an ISP Issued Aris model, does support my ISP data plan, and allows modem settings to be changed via ISP service web-page rather than the gateway method.

Things I have already done to troubleshoot:

1. Reset cable modem.
2. Restart PC
3. Disabled and enabled network adapter.
4. Cleaned up my browsing data and cleared cache.
5. Used different browsers.
6. Tried a direct connection on another device which even fluctuates a little over over my 100mbps bandwidth.

Solution
With respect I don't ask these question for a laugh.

1. if it's cat 5 and not 5e the best you'll get is 100Mbps, probably only 40 one way, if it's cat 5 and your PC is somehow misidentifying it and trying to push GBe down, anything could happen.
2. If the network adaptor says it's at 10Mbps then that's what it has negotiated, somewhere between your machine and the router something is limiting things to 10.
3. You might have a cable that is bad enough for your NIC to be bothered by it, but perhaps another NIC is less concerned, perhaps the other NIC is running at 100 on a 1000 cable and hence can manage better.
4. This could be a sign of interference, and again your NIC might be more susceptible than a.n. other NIC.

Radioactive Gamer

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

The same connection works fine on other devices. Make sure you read my post. Thanks.

Radioactive Gamer

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

You're right, I did not answer your questions. 1. Wire type does not matter, because lets face it most of the time we don't have to worry about what Ethernet cable we use in most cases, and I already mentioned that the direct connection works on other devices even going over my bandwidth of 100 mbps as I mentioned. 2. What the Network adapter speed says. A speed test is pretty accurate especially when you try multiple testing hosts and get the same results. In context, those questions are self answering by reading my post.

With respect I don't ask these question for a laugh.

1. if it's cat 5 and not 5e the best you'll get is 100Mbps, probably only 40 one way, if it's cat 5 and your PC is somehow misidentifying it and trying to push GBe down, anything could happen.
2. If the network adaptor says it's at 10Mbps then that's what it has negotiated, somewhere between your machine and the router something is limiting things to 10.
3. You might have a cable that is bad enough for your NIC to be bothered by it, but perhaps another NIC is less concerned, perhaps the other NIC is running at 100 on a 1000 cable and hence can manage better.
4. This could be a sign of interference, and again your NIC might be more susceptible than a.n. other NIC.

Solution
You really need to hope it is as simple as using a different ethernet cable. A cable can work fine on one machine but not another. It would be nice if cables completely failed but it is not uncommon that they are good enough for some devices but not others.

If both your wireless and wired speed are very bad then you have a software problem. Hard to say mine sometimes does that and it is stupid microsoft downloading some huge patch with no way to stop it. But it can really be anything.

You can spend lots of time replacing drivers and uninstalling software but since win10 is pretty trivial to reinstall over the top I would try that. If there was some recent patch you might be able to back that out with the windows recovery stuff.

Still maybe you get lucky and it is just a bad cable.

Asking what your computer is reading your network connection's speed is VERY relevant because it tells us if the system is reading the cable correctly and is auto-negotiating speed.

Just because YOU don't understand why we ask a question/ask you check something does not make them irrelevant, you came to us asking for help remember.

Since another device works just fine the issue for sure is not with your router.
Could still be an issue with that cable as others have stated.
More likely it is an issue with the nic on the desktop
The "Killer" branded adapters are flaky complete piles of garbage, and mobo manufactures have pretty much all but stopped using them and went back to intel nics. If you do have Killer nic there is a special driver you can get that strips out all of the "killer" features.
If all else fails get yourself a $15 gigabit nic adapter from tp-link or similar and you should be good to go.