Community Picks: The 25 Best Game Soundtracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceBob

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
I'd personally put Total Annihilation, Sacrifice and most of the Heroes of Might & Magic soundtracks above all of these. Just my opinion, mind.

Jun 4, 2018
+ World of Warcraft: say what you like about the changes in game design, but they've never failed to delivery mesmerising and splendid music throughout each version.

And Nier Automata is truly out of this world.

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Monkey Island, Divinity series and few Black-Isle games should have made the list. As for theme musics of TES I see things as this - Morrowind + high tempo = Oblivion + higher tempo + Dragon Shout = Skyrim!! Jeremy Soule masterclass ;)

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Seriously discounting anything that doesn't include Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas....

I can't hear an oldies station in the background anymore without wanting to subconsciously trigger VATS.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd be more interested in a ranking of game soundtrack albums. I'm not about to play a game just for the soundtrack, but I do like videogame music, from time to time.

Anyway, two 8-bit NES games that I always thought had good music were Zanac and Squoon. Also Zelda and FF1, but those go without saying. I didn't play many SNES games, but I liked Actraiser's music.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Interstate 76 was an awesome game all around...first PC game I ever used an accelerated 3D graphics card on.

Anyone else remember the Diamond Edge 3D? Looking at Wikipedia, it was the first consumer 3D accelerator card, long before 3DFX/Voodoo. Apparently some company called "NVIDIA" made the silicon...the "NV1".

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, it wasn't exactly a stellar success. In fact, it sounds like the NV1 almost sank Nvidia. Here's a very illuminating analysis:

http://vintage3d.org/nv1.php

As for Diamond, I seem to recall they got out of the VGA card business, a few years later. Perhaps that had more to do with their MP3 player, which was the first of its kind.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, I seem to remember the same thing about the card, including having to wrestle with Driver Issues, but that was more typical of the times back then, and I most remember it for allowing me to smoothly play a handful of demanding games.

I'd forgotten all about the Diamond Rio MP3 Player! Super cheap plastic thing, held just one or two CD's worth of music (and then only at a lower bit rate), but it was the awesome culmination of what people who had been ripping their CD's to their PC's hard drive had been hoping for.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I definitely lusted after higher framerates and resolutions, but such graphics cards didn't fit my budget, at the time.

I have to admit that I found this writeup slightly thrilling. I thought I had missed out on a bold vision of what might have been, in their quadratic rendering approach. After reading about the raft of problems, I rather feel as though I dodged a bullet.

In any case, tessellation finally arrived on the scene and seems to have delivered the goods. We just might've gotten there a bit sooner, had the NV1 been more successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS