Discussion Community Questions: Thoughts on Computex 2019?

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Sure Computex may still be going until tomorrow, but for all intents and purposes, the industry’s biggest announcements have come and gone. In case you missed it, we did a big best of for this year’s show. Check it out for a brief summary of what we thought were this year’s biggest innovations.

In case you missed my prognostications last week, it appears I was right on the money. I predicted more screens in more places, and we certainly got more screens in more places. Intel did not have much to show on the CPU front, and there was nary a peep about Intel’s discrete graphics odyssey, but the venerable x86 chipmaker did manage to wow the audience with their innovative Intel Honeycomb Glacier gaming laptop. While I was mighty impressed by the creativity behind Intel’s visionary prototype, this dual screen laptop had me thinking, what exactly is a honeycomb glacier? A tasty frozen treat? Who knows, but in any case, now I really wish I had a screen not only in front of my eyes, but below them as well. I suppose I’ll just have to settle for the company laptop suspended to my right.

There were many other cool reveals (both literally and figuratively speaking), but for me AMD really stole the show with their third-gen Ryzen CPU announcement. The Ryzen 7 3700X has me giddy. It might not be the flagship, but with 16 threads, a boost frequency of 4.4 GHz, and a TDP of 65W, honestly what more could you ask for! We’ll have to wait and see what Intel has cooked up for the 7nm manufacturing process, but that is one nice opening salvo by AMD.

We know you all had a lot to say about the third-gen Ryzen CPUs, but did anything else from Computex 2019 pique your interest? Was this year a success or a flop? Let us know what you think below.

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Ryzen for sure took the show. I will be holding out for the Ryzen 3990x 16 core, 32 thread. If not, will at least wait for the Threadripper 3's to hit to replace my 1950x

Ryzen 3000 looks promising, but I was pleasantly surprised by the great motherboard support. Also from what I've seen, the PCIE gen 4 storage solutions look good and new monitors with G-Sync ultimate as well as MSI's increased number of monitor models was nice. Intel and Nvidia presentations were a little bit lackluster but I don't think much was expected here in the first place (except the super thing, but that probably for e3/later announcement).

Reactions: Jsimenhoff