Discussion Community Questions: What's the Biggest Game You've Never Played?

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
For this week’s Community Questions, we wanted to discuss any landmark games you just never got around to playing through. Did you miss on Half-Life? Never played a CoD? Tell us your greatest embarrassment below.

READ MORE

Joshua Simenhoff @Johnny5

Last edited:
Elder Scrolls Online. I love the Elder Scrolls series but have zero interest in MMO. It does make me worry about Elder Scrolls VI and the game being hobbled by severely limiting player modification. Because they may want to make it an online game too or partially online.

Really there are a ton of big games I never played.

Reactions: WildCard999

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Diablo III. As soon as they announced the "Online only" requirement I boycotted the game.
Ah, you should totally give this another look. I recently bought it again for the Switch and it's fantastic! I'm happy to report that offline play is allowed, and the Diablo 3 experience is well ported, looks and plays great.

Diablo III certainly was a mess at launch, but they really perfected the system over the years. If you have a PS4, Xbox One, or Switch it makes for amazingly fun couch co-op.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
I've never played a Call of Duty. Not once. I actually like 3rd person shooters, so I'm not sure how it never happened.

Reactions: JQB45

Xeres Forteen

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
So many. Everquest. I was too invested into UO at the time. The Witcher. Any of them. Well I played the Witcher III for 5 minutes and stopped. I just wasn't feeling that at all.

The one game I wish I had tried thought was DAOC. That looked good.

Apr 8, 2019
any new call of duty since the first modern warfare
halo wars 2, loved the first one
titan fall 2
all of the crysis series
path of exile
border lands 2,3 and anything else besides 1
witcher series
far cry series
elder scrolls
pubg
fortnite
apex legends

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
These are games I own, though I probably bought them well after their release for most of them.

Just recently got into the Witcher series, finished 1 and started 2.

Never finished BioShock, nor have I started BioShock 2 (EDIT: I forgot the 2 at the end there, LOL).

Have owned Skyrim for years, have yet to get around to playing it.

Never played the original Half-Life, but only a demo version - and played the Black Mesa remake of it.

Never finished Half-Life 2, but I think I got through most of it (?) when I played it on an ex-gf's account (uh, while we were together).

There's likely a few others, but at work, so can't access my library at the moment.

Last edited:
I've never played any Diablo game. I'm just not a fan of that style of game. I can't even bring myself to play Fallout or Fallout 2... and I know those are fantastic games.

In other games, I've never played an e-sports game... well not since e-sports became a thing. I played Unreal Tournament back in the day.

I've never played WoW... or the other WoW come to think of it.

I've never played ANY Metroid game. Most other major franchises I've at least played a level of... but never a Metroid.

WildCard999

Titan
In other games, I've never played an e-sports game... well not since e-sports became a thing. I played Unreal Tournament back in the day.

I've never played WoW... or the other WoW come to think of it.
Unreal Tournament (1999) was awesome!

MMO's can be pretty fun but you need to either make friends or go into it with a few. I can't imagine how many hours I put into City of Heroes/City of Villains years ago. Pretty much played 6-8 hours a day for like 9 years straight!

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
ive never played fortnite nor do i plan too, never played any of the Mass Effects or metal Gear games, havent played a call of duty since advanced warfare

Biffe46

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
By far Ultima Online. Second was Everquest I played it for over 10 years. Best part was the keys we had to make to dungeons access. Especially in the early expansion. WoW is my third favorite. Sadly it doesnt have the same evolvement once you reach max leves compared to Everquest.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have not been a huge fan of games that have gone away from campaign mode to purely online play...so all of those. I just am not good enough at gaming to compete with "these kids". My performance in Apex Legends frustrates me beyond words. I have played it a bit now and have yet to actually see who was killing me.

I purchased Witcher 3, think it's a beautiful game but just too time consuming and expansive for me to enjoy.

Reactions: spentshells

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Never played the Assassin's Creed series. I'm too jaded with Ubisoft, after the FC5 trainwreck.
None of the Metro games, except Exodus (which i found to be way overhyped).
None of the Dark Souls either.

vonbose

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
If a game comes out and it's $60, you can bet I won't play it till it's on sale, years later, for under $20. By that time you are going to weed out most of your AAA titles that end up as garbage (Assassin's Creed games, Diablo 3, EA games) and only play the games worthwhile like Dark Souls, Divinity, The Witchers, Vermintide etc.

You also aren't going to be breaking the bank on hardware.

Reactions: carssuckjeepsrule
Unreal Tournament (1999) was awesome!

MMO's can be pretty fun but you need to either make friends or go into it with a few. I can't imagine how many hours I put into City of Heroes/City of Villains years ago. Pretty much played 6-8 hours a day for like 9 years straight!
UT was my jam for a long while. One of the best games ever made.

Well, I find it much easier to play MMOs that have single player elements to them. You can get used to the game without dragging others down and it gives you time to find reasonable people that you want to play with.

If a game comes out and it's $60, you can bet I won't play it till it's on sale, years later, for under $20. By that time you are going to weed out most of your AAA titles that end up as garbage (Assassin's Creed games, Diablo 3, EA games) and only play the games worthwhile like Dark Souls, Divinity, The Witchers, Vermintide etc.

I very much agree. I've been doing this for a number of years and it has been working out great for me. I just get the games I want to play when they are cheap and as long as I can avoid spoilers I really enjoy them. The only games I buy on release day are Fallout games or Elder Scrolls... with the exception of Fallout 76... which seems like it'd be right up my alley but I spend half my time in Antarctica soooooo playing an exclusively online game doesn't work for me for half the year, so I'm not paying full price for a game I can only play half the time.

thomberg

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Some in chronological order
Zork
Contra
Myst
Chrono Trigger
Halo Series
World of Warcraft
Minecraft
The Witcher series
All the battle royale games

carssuckjeepsrule

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014

YES! I still go back and play different STALKER builds/Mods once in while because new doesn't mean better. Fallout 76 anyone? lol....NO.