Question Community wifi help

May 17, 2021
I've been hardwired since AOL. Added wifi for smart home stuff a few years ago. Now I live in a condo community that has free wifi as part of the HOA and no Hardline. I've messed up somewhere and my extender to router for desktop connection give me 2mbs down and 20 up. On the wireless side I get 20-25mbs both was. Any advice on what I did wrong?

May 17, 2021
Well my wifi side gives me 20-25 down, at the same time I'm getting 2 down through my routers wired connection. I get the principal of wifi, and traffic...I don't understand how it goes from 20 to 2 by sending through the router and wire. It is between the extender which I need to access the community wifi and the router that I need for the wired connection

kanewolf

Titan
Well my wifi side gives me 20-25 down, at the same time I'm getting 2 down through my routers wired connection. I get the principal of wifi, and traffic...I don't understand how it goes from 20 to 2 by sending through the router and wire. It is between the extender which I need to access the community wifi and the router that I need for the wired connection
Can you create a quick drawing and post a JPG to an image hosting site? I am having trouble following where these different devices are in the chain...

May 17, 2021
So, I guess accidentally got it sorted. How it is setup is the condo has a wifi, I don't know of a way to create a compartmentalized secure network on an open wifi, so I bought a wifi extender with ethernet port to plug my router into. That way I can run smart home products and plug in my wired pcs to the router physically. I reset everything one step at a time and it fixed itself. Now I'm getting the same speed wired and wireless.

TRENDING THREADS