comp freezes HDD makes noise.

WHat do ya think it is

• Total voters

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Since last night i've been having this problem with my comp. My screensaver was on and i moved my mouse to jump back. Then , my comp froze showing a destop with no wallpaper. I thought nothing of it a switched off. Back on this morning and it happens again, only this time i'm running a norton scan, and boom, HDD sounds briefly and then my mouse moves but nothing reacts.
SO i system restored to 2 days ago before all this. Then all is well and HDD makes noise and locks up again.

ANy ideas.

Update
SInce i posted my system crashed and it said in a box labeled wondows registry recovery "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy."

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
it sounds like the platters are spinning very rapidly adn then the system fails to respond. I dl'ed HD sentinel and it reports that both of my drives are at 100% functionality and health, any ideas or more info you might need to help me out, I'm nearing midterms and I can't afford for my comp to crap out.

Use chkdsk to scan the hard drive... see what it comes up with. You'll also want to download the diagnostics from the drive's manufacturer... they will give you a definitive answer on whether or not the hard drive is failing. From what you describe, I'd say the drive is definately on the way out.