Question Comp issues have left me stumped

Nov 28, 2019
I'm new to forums, in general, but I'm at my wits end - any help would be appreciated.

My self-built computer has ran flawless for quite some time until a few days ago. One day it was fine and next day when I booted up the computer started running very slow. It takes a long time to even register mouse clicks, folders take an extended period to open from the desktop, programs take long to launch and stutter in performance (games, etc.) so on and so on.

I've done all the usual checks: drivers, viruses, updates but everything checks out. There is nothing unusual in task manager that I can tell - currently CPU 16%, Mem 11%, GPU 6% . Hardware wise, CPU, GPU temps are fine and I ran a memory diagnostic last night with no issue (the test literally took overnight). I've also done sfc and chkdsk scans to no avail.

Other things I've tried were a restore point to several days before any issues ever occurred - no luck. I also did a fresh Windows install.

I know for a fact that the night prior to the issues occurring I didn't intentionally download any new software, driver updates, etc.

Again, any help would be appreciated as I can't seem to find what other areas and I check to rule out the cause. I've seen normally that people will post specs and diagnostic details but I'll go out and say I'm dumb in regards to where/how to get those details.

Mobo: MSI z170A M5
CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080
RAM: 64gb
Win10 installed on a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Did you open the case to check all connections and clean out dust, debris, dead bugs, etc..?
EVGA 80 Gold 850W. I have not yet done this - I didn't think it would've mattered but will do so today.

As far as case and dust, everything is clean but I will of course check once I look at my PSU connections.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS