COMP REBOOT - HELP!

G

I just bought a ATI Radeon 8500 and played a lot of games with it including Ghost REcon, Ballistics, Civilisation III, Counterstrike and TEam Fortress Classic. I played TFC(Team Fortress Classic) for about one hour and suddenly my computer switched off by itself. After I switched it on, I played CS, once I entered the game and started, my computer rebooted! why!!??! and i have NO problems with other games like avp2, ballistics, civil 3 and etc. I have the latest drivers from ATI. What's wrong?My best guess is it's overheating but cant it withstand the heat?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I'm guessing you're running win2k correct?? If you go to the system tab (it may be a little different as i'm running XP) in control panel then the advanced tab, then startup and recovery and uncheck automatically reboot. That should work.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

G

i am using WIN98SE but I tried full blast air con at the CPU but it still hangs.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
If your AGP slot can't provide enough current to the video card it will re-boot your system. My 700 Duron on a Gigabyte mobo was doing exactly that with a Radeon 64Mb ddr vid card. It's fine with a Kyro 2, and I'm now running it with a Geforce 2 Mx400 64Mb. Give us your system breakdown/info.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Congrats on the new card! It might be a power supply problem. The P2B is a respected motherboard that is fairly unlikely to have the AGP electrical underfeed problem, but if it does turn out to be the problem, you can always solder a couple jumper wires to the back of the board.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

this is another computer and this computer is using a Abit mobo and I found a lot of people having similar problems using a Abit mobo no matter what processor they r having.

G

a very old PIII slot 1 mobo by Abit
i think it's Abit BPH-6..can't really remember tho

G

I don't really know unless I check it up but most of the time I check out that RAdeon 8500 have problems with <b>ANY</b> ABIT mobos..