Comp running with 1 RAM stick

KingTide

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hey guys, I made a thread in the motherboard section nearly a month ago, and I've been trying to diagnose this problem ever since. I'm thinking maybe this section will have an answer.

We came to the conclusion that it was either my motherboard, or my CPU. With two RAM sticks, my computer wouldn't boot up after a while at all. I took one out, and they both work individually, just not together. However, there are some new symptoms since I've been noticing with 1 RAM stick. For one, the computer will not shut down using the windows shut down option, I have to hold the power button. When rebooting, it may reboot 4 or 5 times before it gets going (this happened prior to using 1 stick though), and then it will run for days. But the second symptom I didn't notice previously was that the longer I have the computer on, the slower and more laggy it gets. Before, it would simply shut down entirely without any warning, it no longer does that with 1 RAM stick though. I've linked a couple pictures of the event viewer which shows the critical shut down error, and the device manager which shows what I assume is a non-updated driver(?) but I'm not sure. I am assuming this is hardware related, and if it is, I need help nailing down which piece it is so I can RMA it for a replacement. I appreciate any help you can give me, and I will cooperate with any requests. Below are the picture I mentioned earlier.

http://imgur.com/a/fTn2L#1

Solution
4 gigs of ram really shouldn't be a problem for basic system stability and operation.

Have you installed the latest chipset drivers? That's all I can really think of for that unknown PCI device, that part of the chipset driver is inop.
The ram sticks that work one at a time, did you test the individual dimm slots on your motherboard? It sounds a lot like the power delivery circuitry on the motherboard is the culprit.

I've had a few systems that would get stuck in the reboot cycle and once going, would not totally shut down (windows would shut down but the fans and other physically evident components would keep operating), memory above the default SPD settings would not work etc etc. Motherboard replacement was the immediate fix. Chances are if the CPU were faulty, it wouldn't be so sporadic of symptoms.

I'd vote motherboard RMA.

KingTide

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
I've tried them in the 2 and 4 slots individually.

Also, would the motherboard cause the slowing over a day or two? Or would that just be from only having 4 gigs of RAM

4 gigs of ram really shouldn't be a problem for basic system stability and operation.

Have you installed the latest chipset drivers? That's all I can really think of for that unknown PCI device, that part of the chipset driver is inop.

Solution