Comp USA idiots, part 897:

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after rebate,
so I decided to check it out. Unfortunately neither the MD website nor
the product box listed anything about its amp ratings, and Comp USA
didn't have any I could look at without paying a 15% restocking fee to
open the box.

So I took the power supply over to an employee and asked about the amp
ratings, but he didn't know. He called his manager, who also didn't
know.

The manager called the head of the tech department, who not only didn't
know, but because he didn't know he didn't know, he confidently fed me
this line of bull:

a) Computers draw volts, not amps.
b) Amps don't matter.
c) Is this a desktop or a laptop? (power supply right in front of him)
d) The Mad Dog 350W can power anything.
e) But my lead technician would never buy one.

No wonder it's always eerily quiet at Comp USA.

Bob Ward wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2005 10:46:30 -0800, bryanlove@email.com wrote:
>
> >Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after
rebate,
> >so I decided to check it out. Unfortunately neither the MD website
nor
> >the product box listed anything about its amp ratings,

> I guess the web master at Mad Dog is really on the ball - I pulled up
> their website, and found the amperage rating with the first try.

Where did you see it? I clicked on both Specifications radio button
and the picture of the power supply, but both led me here:

http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/power-SurePower_350.asp

No amp ratings except for the 120VAC amps.

John A. Weeks III wrote:
> In article <1110134790.291061.77900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> bryanlove@email.com wrote:
>
> > Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after
rebate,

> > I took the power supply over to an employee and asked about the amp
> > ratings, but he didn't know. He called his manager, who also
didn't
> > know.
>
> This is just as much your fault as it is Comp USA. If you need
> to meet some specific specifications, then buy a name brand unit
> where you can look up the spec sheet on the Internet and call
> for tech support. If you buy an off-brand unit, you should
> expect off-brand treatment.

I don't see how Comp USA's ignorance and laziness should be my fault,
and an off-brand is not necessarily an inferior product, an example
being my Mad Dog DVD burner that turned out to be Japanese, an NEC
model ND-2500A. I simply wanted a power supply that could put out
enough amps on its +12V output, but with 350W power supplies this
rating can range anywhere from about 14A to 25A.

> In addition, if you ask a technical question, you should at
> least have a clue of what you are asking. In this case, there
> is a thing called "ohms law" that relates power and current.
> You can compute how many amps a 350 watt power supply will
> both draw and deliver without even breaking out a calculator.

You don't seem to understand ohms law. From the clues given by Mad Dog
- 350W, 8A max current, +5V, +12V, +3.3V outputs, 100-120VAC or
200-240AC input, no one can calculate the maximum possible current for
each of voltage output, other than to make the useless conclusion that
the +5V is limited to 70A, the +3.3V to about 100A, and the +12V to
about 30A.

> If you expect these former shoe sales people and burger
> flippers to know anything technical, you are setting yourself
> up for a big let-down.

They'd have to be smarter for those jobs.

bryanlove@email.com wrote:

> Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after rebate,
> so I decided to check it out. Unfortunately neither the MD website nor
> the product box listed anything about its amp ratings, and Comp USA
> didn't have any I could look at without paying a 15% restocking fee to
> open the box.
>
> So I took the power supply over to an employee and asked about the amp
> ratings, but he didn't know. He called his manager, who also didn't
> know.

This is just as much your fault as it is Comp USA. If you need
to meet some specific specifications, then buy a name brand unit
where you can look up the spec sheet on the Internet and call
for tech support. If you buy an off-brand unit, you should
expect off-brand treatment.

In addition, if you ask a technical question, you should at
least have a clue of what you are asking. In this case, there
is a thing called "ohms law" that relates power and current.
You can compute how many amps a 350 watt power supply will
both draw and deliver without even breaking out a calculator.

If you expect these former shoe sales people and burger
flippers to know anything technical, you are setting yourself
up for a big let-down.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708 john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications http://www.johnweeks.com

Jon Danniken wrote:
> Concerning rebates, I had a MadDog rebate (through
> OfficeMax) that was supposed to show up in "6 to 8
> weeks", but ended up taking 6 months. Don't know
> if it was OfficeMax or MD that caused the delay.

It was definitely Mad Dog's fault, as OfficeMax rebates processed by
Parago (Florida or Texas) tend to come fairly fast unless the
manufacturer is slow with payment, the record being eleven days
(Envision monitor). My last Mad Dog rebate, like yours, took six
months, and the check bounced. Because of this, I've since verified
every rebate check processed by Citizens State Bank in Minesota, AKA
Solutran, 1-888-65-8872.

John Doe wrote:
> PS
> Besides, I avoid rebates like the plague.

And miss out on all the free really cheap stuff that you can resell on
Ebay if you don't want it? Every CD writer, wireless router, and 256MB
DDR memory module I've gotten was free after rebate, and every HD in
the past two years has cost $55 or less, including the 200GB I bought
last Nov. I once paid $25 for an Antec case w/ 300W PSU, but that was
stupid because a month later it was available for $5 ($15 more
recently).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

On 6 Mar 2005 10:46:30 -0800, bryanlove@email.com wrote:

>Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after rebate,
>so I decided to check it out. Unfortunately neither the MD website nor
>the product box listed anything about its amp ratings, and Comp USA
>didn't have any I could look at without paying a 15% restocking fee to
>open the box.
>
>So I took the power supply over to an employee and asked about the amp
>ratings, but he didn't know. He called his manager, who also didn't
>know.
>
>The manager called the head of the tech department, who not only didn't
>know, but because he didn't know he didn't know, he confidently fed me
>this line of bull:
>
>a) Computers draw volts, not amps.
>b) Amps don't matter.
>c) Is this a desktop or a laptop? (power supply right in front of him)
>d) The Mad Dog 350W can power anything.
>e) But my lead technician would never buy one.
>
>No wonder it's always eerily quiet at Comp USA.

I guess the web master at Mad Dog is really on the ball - I pulled up
their website, and found the amperage rating with the first try.

"lead technician"? As if there would be any followers.

Bob Ward wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2005 10:46:30 -0800, bryanlove@email.com wrote:
>
> >Comp USA advertised a Mad Dog 350W power supply for free after rebate,
> >so I decided to check it out. Unfortunately neither the MD website nor
> >the product box listed anything about its amp ratings, and Comp USA
> >didn't have any I could look at without paying a 15% restocking fee to
> >open the box.

It's printed on the box.

> >So I took the power supply over to an employee and asked about the amp
> >ratings, but he didn't know. He called his manager, who also didn't
> >know.
> >
> >The manager called the head of the tech department, who not only didn't
> >know, but because he didn't know he didn't know, he confidently fed me
> >this line of bull:
> >
> >a) Computers draw volts, not amps.
> >b) Amps don't matter.
> >c) Is this a desktop or a laptop? (power supply right in front of him)
> >d) The Mad Dog 350W can power anything.

....including the Queen Mary, but you need a really long waterproof
extension cord.

> >e) But my lead technician would never buy one.
> >
> >No wonder it's always eerily quiet at Comp USA.
>
> I guess the web master at Mad Dog is really on the ball - I pulled up
> their website, and found the amperage rating with the first try.

Hell, I just found it on the box at first try. May we assume that Bryan
does not realize that there is a relationship between amps and watts
even if the amp-rating isn't given, which it is?

> "lead technician"? As if there would be any followers.

Yeah, like the salesdroid could HAVE a lead technician.

BTW, you have to register the thing at the website before you send in
the rebate forms, both of which (mercifully) are sent to the same
address.

--
Cheers, Bev
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

"The Real Bev"
> BTW, you have to register the thing at the website before you send in
> the rebate forms, both of which (mercifully) are sent to the same
> address.

Concerning rebates, I had a MadDog rebate (through OfficeMax) that was
supposed to show up in "6 to 8 weeks", but ended up taking 6 months. Don't
know if it was OfficeMax or MD that caused the delay.

Jon

Matt wrote:

> I was thinking of getting that supply too, but I
> couldn't find meaningful specs either, and rebates
> from that manufacturer have been troublesome in the past.

A person who bought either a 300W or 350W Mad Dog said that it looked
just like a Thermaltake inside, meaning it was made by Sirtec, which
produces several other brands, including High Power. IOW it should be
decent but not outstanding, and it's possible that it won't be very
quiet.

If there's a Fry's Electronics in your area, be on the lookout for
their frequent deals on Antecs, most recently a 300W one with case for
$15. Sometimes it's a 350W, with or without a case.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

I wouldn't expect much from CompUSA or any other discount technology
store. I wouldn't expect decent prices either. Nowadays, the only
place to shop for high tech stuff is online. Sometimes when I am
window shopping, just for a laugh, I go to CompUSA, Best Buy,
Circuit City, Office Depot, OfficeMax, or any other such store to
look at their price. Of course there are exceptions, but in my
longtime, intensive online shopping experiences, the possibility
that such a store will have a comparable price is getting more rare
everyday. One excellent, subject related reason to shop online for
high tech parts is the abundance of technical information you can
find all over the Internet. And then there are all of the comments
and reviews. There's just no reason to shop at a local store
anymore, in my opinion. I don't waste the time anymore.

John Doe wrote:

> Nowadays, the only
> place to shop for high tech stuff is online.

That's getting less and less of a great deal. Many parts are getting to be
just as expensive as the store bought stuff, and sometimes it's cheaper to
go to Best Buy or something. I see GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all the
time much cheaper at Best Buy and CompUSA than NewEgg and ZipZoomFly want
for them.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

John Doe wrote:

> look at their price. Of course there are exceptions, but in my
> longtime, intensive online shopping experiences, the possibility
> that such a store will have a comparable price is getting more rare

I pretty much feel the same way. Though taxes and shipping charges
make the comparison very difficult. And obviously, you have to compare
the final price tag.

And because of the varying shipping charges comparing prices online
can be real big pain in the ass. That's why I've even started avoiding
online stores that charge an arm and a leg for shipping. I prefer
that the shipping charges are just that, not a way to offset the
cheap prices.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.

> That's getting less and less of a great deal. Many parts are getting to be
> just as expensive as the store bought stuff, and sometimes it's cheaper to
> go to Best Buy or something. I see GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all the
> time much cheaper at Best Buy and CompUSA than NewEgg and ZipZoomFly want
> for them.

That's not true in any of the CompUSAs or Best Buys I've been to. In
fact for some reason, Bet Buy, Staples, CompUSA, and Circuit City all
have the EXACT same cards for sale, usually only 2 different Vertigo
nvidia cards, ATI 9600 and 9800 (+ the AIW models), and maybe 2 or 3 PCI
cards. And they have always 100% of the time been at least $20 more
than online, and sometimes DOUBLE the price.

I don't know why the selection is so bad, maybe they can only afford to
stock a few different cards. Then there's always the "yes but you can
get better advice at Store X" argument, which would be nice if true, but
we all know the advice is skewed toward getting you to buy more than you
need.

Best Buy even tried to get me to buy a $10 replacement plan for a $20
mouse. It's one of the few times I've laughed out loud in line in a store.

o-chan wrote:

>> That's getting less and less of a great deal. Many parts are getting to
>> be just as expensive as the store bought stuff, and sometimes it's
>> cheaper to go to Best Buy or something. I see GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra
>> cards all the time much cheaper at Best Buy and CompUSA than NewEgg and
>> ZipZoomFly want for them.
>
> That's not true in any of the CompUSAs or Best Buys I've been to. In
> fact for some reason, Bet Buy, Staples, CompUSA, and Circuit City all
> have the EXACT same cards for sale, usually only 2 different Vertigo
> nvidia cards, ATI 9600 and 9800 (+ the AIW models), and maybe 2 or 3 PCI
> cards. And they have always 100% of the time been at least $20 more
> than online, and sometimes DOUBLE the price.
>
> I don't know why the selection is so bad, maybe they can only afford to
> stock a few different cards. Then there's always the "yes but you can
> get better advice at Store X" argument, which would be nice if true, but
> we all know the advice is skewed toward getting you to buy more than you
> need.
>
> Best Buy even tried to get me to buy a $10 replacement plan for a $20
> mouse. It's one of the few times I've laughed out loud in line in a
> store.

Yes, but I'm confident that those of us that have done this a few times are
a little smarter, and better shoppers than that. :eek:)

--

Registered Linux user #378193

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

Thank heaven for "ohms" law then indeed. Pray tell what would the +5v amp
rating be on that PSU for us techniacl illiterates? Show us also how you
determine what amp rating is on the +12v line while you're at it John. I'll
even throw in a clue for you. The PSU claims to be 70% efficient.

When answering a technical question, it also helps if YOU have a clue as to
what you are spewing.

Bob Troll

JohnS

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

> a) Computers draw volts, not amps.

Lord. That is hilarious. I guess he heard somewhere about
getting shocked, and tried to figure it out. Thing is, I hear this
sort of nonsense every day, and it amazes me that the average Joe
knows so little about the equipment they use. Maybe the schools
should restore the Industrial Arts programs.

> b) Amps don't matter.

Even the so-called know-it-alls can't tell you how they do matter.
I've read through this thread, and nobody really had a clue.
Best most of them could do was talk about Watts ... ?? ...
You guys ever heard of magnetic fields :) Heh! Ain't none of
you got it. Don't feel by yourselves. You should see the awful
quality of the "electronics" taught to Physicists, Mechanical
Engineers, Civil Engineers. Not one of them could repair a
TV set.

> c) Is this a desktop or a laptop? (power supply right in front of him)
> d) The Mad Dog 350W can power anything.
> e) But my lead technician would never buy one.

Gulp! I'm impressed.

johns

Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>
>> Nowadays, the only place to shop for high tech stuff is online.
>
>That's getting less and less of a great deal. Many parts are
>getting to be just as expensive as the store bought stuff, and
>sometimes it's cheaper to go to Best Buy or something. I see
>GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all the time much cheaper at Best
>Buy and CompUSA than NewEgg and ZipZoomFly want for them.

Using your hand-picked example.
GeForce 6800 GT:
http://www.compusa.com/
$400
http://www.newegg.com/
$390
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/
$380
GeForce 6800 Ultra:
http://www.compusa.com/
$500
http://www.newegg.com/
$490

Don't forget, you said "I see GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all
the time much cheaper at Best Buy and CompUSA".

All the reader has to do is go to the local stores (or their online
equivalents) and compare the prices with online-only stores.

In fact, the price difference is getting greater. And you can find
technical information on the Internet. And you can find opinions and
reviews on the Internet. And you can compare prices on the Internet.

There's no comparison anymore.

John Doe wrote:

>>> Nowadays, the only place to shop for high tech stuff is online.
>>
>>That's getting less and less of a great deal. Many parts are
>>getting to be just as expensive as the store bought stuff, and
>>sometimes it's cheaper to go to Best Buy or something. I see
>>GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all the time much cheaper at Best
>>Buy and CompUSA than NewEgg and ZipZoomFly want for them.
>
> Using your hand-picked example.
> GeForce 6800 GT:
> http://www.compusa.com/
> $400
> http://www.newegg.com/
> $390
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/
> $380
> GeForce 6800 Ultra:
> http://www.compusa.com/
> $500
> http://www.newegg.com/
> $490
>
> Don't forget, you said "I see GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra cards all
> the time much cheaper at Best Buy and CompUSA".

Sure do. It's called "on sale". Those prices you quote are not on sale. Now,
the fact that you can go to CompUSA and buy the same card and be home with
it, installing it that same day for a mere $10 more is enough to buy there
instead of online. So, you just proved my point, where I originally stated
that "Many parts are getting to be just as expensive as the store bought
stuff, and _sometimes_ it's cheaper to go to Best Buy or something."

> All the reader has to do is go to the local stores (or their online
> equivalents) and compare the prices with online-only stores.
>
> In fact, the price difference is getting greater. And you can find
> technical information on the Internet. And you can find opinions and
> reviews on the Internet. And you can compare prices on the Internet.

Yes, you can do all of that on the internet. Except, there are fewer price
discrepancies between online retailers and big chains for parts. It was
once true because they didn't handle very much volume for do-it-yourselfers
like us. However, they're now buying stuff in bulk. Also, online sites seem
to have gotten more expensive. I've been looking to get a new Antec case or
just an Antec power supply for my current case. A visit to both New Egg and
ZipZoomFly (the only 2 retailers I buy from) have very little discounts
from the MSRP. I can occassionally catch one of those cases or power
supplies on sale at Micro Center, CompUSA, Circuit City, or Best Buy and do
better. For instance, I and a friend helped another friend pick out the
parts, shop for them, and build his first homebuilt computer. He got an
Antec Sonata case with power supply for $73 from Circuit City. ZipZoomfly
wants $99.99 and $22 for shipping. New Egg wants $105 and $15.99 for
shipping. MSRP is only $119. Some deal they got going...

--

Matt wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

> > It's printed on the box.
>
> You can read the side of a box, but how can I gently get you to say that
> you don't know the practical meaning of those specs or whether they have
> any practical meaning?

I know that VA=W. He wants to know amps? It gives amps. If he wants
to know more he should spell it out so that somebody who knows what he's
talking about CAN help.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev wrote:

> Matt wrote:

>>>It's printed on the box.
>>
>>You can read the side of a box, but how can I gently get you to say that
>>you don't know the practical meaning of those specs or whether they have
>>any practical meaning?
>

> I know that VA=W.

Which is of no use in this case because the "W" and "A" are unknown and it
is the "A" he was asking for.

> He wants to know amps? It gives amps.

He wants to know the amps that matter to the components in the computer.
I.E. what is it's amp rating on each of +12, +5, +3.3, -5, and -12? Plus
the combined ratings.

The 'box' AC amp rating does not provide that information.

> If he wants
> to know more he should spell it out so that somebody who knows what he's
> talking about CAN help.

I suspect he did and you snipped the 'tech' response, which is incorrect
and incompetent regardless of what he asked.

"a) Computers draw volts, not amps."

'Computers' do, indeed, "draw amps." The purpose of a computer PSU is to
provide a (multiple) constant voltage source(s) that will supply as many
amps as the circuitry wants to "draw" up to the current capacity of the
PSU, which is what he was asking for: the current capacity on each of the
power rails.

"b) Amps don't matter."

If amps don't matter then your VA=W equation is meaningless.

Mikko Peltoniemi <mikkopel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>... I've even started avoiding online stores that charge an arm and
>a leg for shipping. I prefer that the shipping charges are just
>that, not a way to offset the cheap prices.

I have too. I made an exception recently for a great price and $15
second day air shipping. I think the better quality stores tend to
charge a reasonable amount and state the charge upfront.

Buy.com seems to have started hiding their shipping charges, so all
I look for there are free shipping items.

One gimmick which is somewhat annoying is when companies like
Sony/Garmin/others apparently tell retailers to conceal the price
until the item is placed in a basket. Anybody know what's up with
that? Do they think that adding an item to the basket means we are
more likely to buy it? It makes comparing prices a few clicks more
difficult?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:55:01 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>> I guess the web master at Mad Dog is really on the ball - I pulled up
>> their website, and found the amperage rating with the first try.
>
>Hell, I just found it on the box at first try. May we assume that Bryan
>does not realize that there is a relationship between amps and watts
>even if the amp-rating isn't given, which it is?

A computer PS produces +5V, +12V, and -12V. While the overall power
output is 350W, there's no way to tell how that output is approtioned
without additional information. Good thing the current ratings for the
three output voltages are printed on the box. :)

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
(See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,misc.consumers,alt.consumers.experiences (More info?)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:00:09 -0600, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
wrote:

>> He didn't say that in his first post. He just complained about "no
>> amps." Later on, after a few of us responded, he amplified his request.
>
>Anyone who has even a basic level of PC building experience and
>understanding knows what the 'amps' of interest are.

Oddly enough, I bought that exact same power supply, and I couldn't
have cared less about the current ratings. I was replacing a 250W PS
with the Mad Dog 350W unit, so I knew it had more than enough capacity
for my computer's needs.

--
Friends don't let friends shop at Best Buy (except to buy loss leaders for resale on eBay).
(See http://tinyurl.com/6efhd)

TRENDING THREADS