Comp won't boot us with new or old RAM? (Older machine)

ViperSRT87

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hey guys,

I have searched the multiple threads about this topic, but have not found anything specific to this. I have an older computer that I was going to upgrade the RAM in. It has a Pentium 4 processor and windows XP. Motherboard is Intel D845WN. I had two mismatched SDRAM DIMM sticks in it. (I had this machine before I knew you needed to use the same sticks.) Ergo it only had 786 MB of RAM. The MOBO supports up to 2 GB so I decided to upgrade to 3 512 MB sticks for a gig and a half or RAM (could not find 1 gig sticks). Anyway the computer has not been hooked up to the internet in years and decided to the other day updating it with the latest windows updates. I forgot to update all the system drivers including the BIOS for which I found out there is at least one update. When I tried to put the new ram in the screen went black and would not boot up. I put only one stick in and it went to a "memory decreased" set up screen. Anything over 1 new stick stayed black. Went I put the old ram back in , to try and run it and update everything else, it either stayed black or shut down by itself after a couple seconds. After researching on here I reset the CMOS by removing the battery. Now it boots, but is stuck on the Pentium 4 start up screen.(Running the old RAM at this time). What could be causing this issue? Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you,

Mike

Solution
The Intel D845WN Motherboard supports max of 3 GB ( 3 x 1 GB)

Try this: Disconnect Power Source, remove CMOS battery, disconnect cables and connect, insert CMOS at last, and then the original memory that was working before, one or two. That should reset. Also if You can strike the key for BIOS and just save without any changes to reboot. That might help.

For memory upgrades refer this link:
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/IntelD845WN.html
The Intel D845WN Motherboard supports max of 3 GB ( 3 x 1 GB)

Try this: Disconnect Power Source, remove CMOS battery, disconnect cables and connect, insert CMOS at last, and then the original memory that was working before, one or two. That should reset. Also if You can strike the key for BIOS and just save without any changes to reboot. That might help.

For memory upgrades refer this link:
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/IntelD845WN.html

Solution

ViperSRT87

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Thank you for the response. I attempted your solution and now it will power on for about 30 seconds, just staying on the first Pentium 4 screen, and shuts off. How could changing memory cause this? I have swapped out memory multiple times before without issue.

TRENDING THREADS