[SOLVED] Comp won't boot with new SSD unless it's locked, but then I can't do anything with it

Nov 19, 2019
Hello, help on this weird issue would be much appreciated,

I got a new Samsung 860 EVO M.2 Sata 500GB SSD and added it to my Acer V15 Nitro notebook computer with the intention of migrating everything to the SSD to use as my main, and to use the old HDD as extra storage. I installed the SSD, computer booted up fine. Was about to start the migration using Samsung Data Migration, but due to time constraints I cancelled it 30 seconds after it started. Turned the computer off, went back at it the next day. Computer would not boot, now giving me a "No bootable device" error message.

In the BIOS, both the new SSD and the old HDD are listed. The default setting has the boot order as (1) Windows Boot Manager, (2) HDD0: Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 500GB, (3) HDD1: WDC WD...(old HDD). Now, no matter what boot order I put these in, the computers will start up to a "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed" error, take me to Boot Manager where only the SSD is listed. If I select it and hit Enter, it takes me back to that same error message, back to the Boot Manager. The HDD is nowhere to be found.

Now, if in the BIOS I password lock the new SSD and start it up, I'll be given a choice between the 2 hard drives - the SSD is listed as "locked", and the HDD as unlocked. If I select the SSD it'll give me the same error and take me to Boot Manager with no HDD listed. If I select the HDD though, Windows will finally start up normally with my old settings. This is the only way I can currently boot to Windows. I also tried disconnecting the old HDD and starting up, and that'll give me a "No bootable device" error with no other option but to turn it off.

While in Windows, if I access Disk Management, it'll show the new SSD as not initialized and will prompt me to initialize it. If I do click initialize, I am hit with an I/O error. I've downloaded multitudes of partition/recovery/clone software, tried accessing it in command prompt and diskpart, and they all give me a variation of i/o error or locked drive. I've tried updating drivers, uninstalling the drive, anything I can find online but still can't seem to find anything similar to this situation.

So my HDD from which I boot Windows is detected in BIOS but not Boot Manager, I can't boot from the old HDD without locking the new SSD, but if it's locked I can't do any of the initializing/formatting/cloning/anything else I need to do to start using it. Is there any way to unlock the drive while in Windows booted from my old HDD? Or to wipe the slate clean? Any help much appreciated!

Solution
Put USB HDD first,
Windows boot manager - second.

In UEFI mode - windows boot manager entry boots from storage device, that has UEFI bootloader. Samsung drive has it, so with windows boot manager first it will always boot from samsung. There should be an option in BIOS for windows boot manager to boot from other drives also. But laptop BIOS usually is very limited and may not allow to change it.

Those boot entries HDD0 and HDD1 are for legacy boot. In UEFI boot mode they will not be used.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, you should ideally be on the latest BIOS update prior to any form of hardware upgrade. Second, you should've left the migration part alone as it's actually much easier to reinstall the OS from scratch after creating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

You should also see if secure boot is enabled. If so, disable it alongside Fast Boot.

In short, remove the SSD, make sure you've backed up all critical content away from C:\ on your HDD. Power down, install the SSD, button up, plug in USB installer then format the C:\ initially on HDD then choose SSD to install the OS.

Reactions: jimjamesjimothy
Or to wipe the slate clean?
Remove any locks in BIOS.
Boot from windows installation media and
use diskpart to clean your M.2 SSD.
(be careful not to clean your hdd by mistake)

diskpart-clean-drive-windows-10-cmd.jpg

Boot into windows and redo cloning.

Reactions: jimjamesjimothy
Nov 19, 2019
Ok, so I've tried both the methods and neither worked. Any time the computer is booted with the SSD installed, no matter what boot order, even with a USB installer or installation media, it still boots to a "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed" error. I hit Enter, and it again takes me to Boot Manager where only the SSD is listed. No USB, no HDD; I can't boot from anything else. Am I still doing something wrong here?

Nov 19, 2019
Can you show photo of boot order from BIOS, when you're trying to boot from USB windows installation media?
Are you sure, it's proper bootable media?

View: https://imgur.com/c3MOAV4

I've tried every variation thereof, finally just sending them to the bottom. I've tried creating a USB boot disk and an external HDD formatted with windows installation media, in each of my 3 USB ports. Still can't get it to work, it just takes me to this looping screen, with only the SSD listed:

View: https://imgur.com/EDOHCPg

Maybe I'm doing the bootable media wrong? Thanks for the help

Put USB HDD first,
Windows boot manager - second.

In UEFI mode - windows boot manager entry boots from storage device, that has UEFI bootloader. Samsung drive has it, so with windows boot manager first it will always boot from samsung. There should be an option in BIOS for windows boot manager to boot from other drives also. But laptop BIOS usually is very limited and may not allow to change it.

Those boot entries HDD0 and HDD1 are for legacy boot. In UEFI boot mode they will not be used.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS