Compability problems with SoundBlaster pci 128 ?

G

Is there any compability problems with SoundBlaster pci 128 2speaker cards in general? Or any with microstars K7T Pro2-A motherboards (via chipset)? Would like to know since i need to buy a new sound card and am thinking of something cheap.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
the only for speakers to be incompatable with soundcards if if the plugs are of wrong size/type/number.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
the only way for speakers to be incompatable with soundcards is if the plugs are of wrong size/type/number.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

Ummmm... I don't think he was asking whether the card was incompatible with speakers but instead whether it was compatible with the MSI K7T Pro2-A motherboard.

Now back to the original question.
Most of the compatibility problems I've heard of with sound cards are with the SBlive! series. I haven't heard of any problems with the PCI 128 series. Someone please correct me if they have heard of any issues.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

G

Yeah, that was what i wanted to know. Thanks, just anted to make sure since there seemed to be so much problems with SB on via chipsets.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, it's the Live! series that has the problem with the Via 686B southbridge. I haven't had any problems, thankfully.

It's mostly the value cards, BTW. I have an OEM 5.1

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you set the card up and know how to isolate the IRQ by placing the Sound card on Slot #3, you should not have any problems with a Via chipset. I have installed nothing but SoundBlaster products on Via chipsets and if you know Via's peculiarities, it will not be a problem.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

"I have installed nothing but SoundBlaster products on Via chipsets and if you know Via's peculiarities, it will not be a problem."

Heheh. Riiigggght. I honestly believed the same thing myself at one point but learned otherwise. My Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 WAS is PCI slot 3, I had the 4.32 4-in-1 drivers installed, I had the ASUS 1.004a beta bios. There were no IRQ conflicts. Yes the onboard sound was disabled. When I introduced a Geforce3 to the system was when the problems showed up. Reloading your system every other day is not fun. Only changing to a non-Sblive! sound card fixed the problem.

Admittedly my encounter with the 686B chipset is not what everyone will experience. Some people may work with it and have no troubles, but to say that knowing the peculiarities of the chipset will help you avoid all trouble is pushing it.

I was talking to a friend last night who has written many drivers for Adaptec and Microsoft (mostly Win2K drivers). He told me that it is well known that there are some flaws in the hardware of the 686B chipset, though there are some work arounds through software. He also stated that the most recent release of Windows XP did not include any support for the Via chipsets on the CD because Microsoft didn't want to have to support those problematic chipsets. He also stated that a number of other hardware manufacturers are in the cue for getting booted because their driver support was so flakey.

Food for thought.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

agpport

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2001
I have a Soundblaster 128 Vibra 2 spkr on my KT7A and I have never had anything resembling the 686B-bug.

It can´t play two different sounds similarly though...

Well if you get the "Vibra" version be aware that you can only get new drivers for it at creatives asian website.