Compact flash speeds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Nikon D70 and want to get a bigger card for it. I'm wondering
wheter to get a MicroDrive from Hitachi or a solid state card. Genrally
speaking, which is faster?? The Hitachi is 7MBsec constant but there are
solid state cards that boast 12MBsec. At what point is the card faster than
the camera so the sped becomes irrelevant??

Cheers.

>I have a Nikon D70 and want to get a bigger card for it. I'm wondering

>wheter to get a MicroDrive from Hitachi or a solid state card.

Rob Galbraith's site has a lot of good data on various card speeds in
specific digital cameras. Here's the link for the D70 ...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

>Genrally speaking, which is faster??

I've never seen a microdrive that was as fast as the high end CF cards
from Lexar and Sandisk. Higher capacity for less $$ is the microdrive
selling point.

>At what point is the card faster than
>the camera so the sped becomes irrelevant??

Depends on the camera ... check the link above for D70 info.

Bill

Justin Case wrote:
> I have a Nikon D70 and want to get a bigger card for it. I'm wondering
> wheter to get a MicroDrive from Hitachi or a solid state card. Genrally
> speaking, which is faster?? The Hitachi is 7MBsec constant but there are
> solid state cards that boast 12MBsec. At what point is the card faster than
> the camera so the sped becomes irrelevant??
>
> Cheers.

Unfortunately few, if any, camera companies gives out the speed of its
camera to card interface. The only way I know to determine what speed
card you need is to experiment. It seems that someone would have tested
the more popular cameras and published this information, but if so, I
haven't been pointed to it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

>Ron Hunter writes ...
>
>The only way I know to determine what speed card you need is
>to experiment. It seems that someone would have tested the
>more popular cameras and published this information, but if so, I
> haven't been pointed to it.

Now you've been pointed to it ... data on 21 cameras with dozens of
cards ...

On 01 Mar 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Justin Case wrote:

> I have a Nikon D70 and want to get a bigger card for it. I'm
> wondering wheter to get a MicroDrive from Hitachi or a solid state
> card. Genrally speaking, which is faster?? The Hitachi is 7MBsec
> constant but there are solid state cards that boast 12MBsec. At what
> point is the card faster than the camera so the sped becomes
> irrelevant??

I have a D70 and a Lexar 4x (that's right, four-x, not forty-x) 1 G card.
I've never had a problem with it. Remember, the D70 has a built-in 4
(raw) frame buffer, so it's tough to get ahead of it.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/