Compact HTPC ATX case with front panel USB 3.1 Type C

Nov 1, 2018
Hi everyone. My name is Jason, I've just joined. I'm a returning old timer - back in the late 70's I had the first retail Apple store in my home town, and have had a working relationship with computers ever since, but nothing in depth. I built a sweet mini system last week with a Ryzen 2600x.

I'm now looking to build a system around an ASUS Crosshair Hero VII (ATX); Ryzen 2700x; a 2TB m.2 SSD; and Geforce GTX 1050Ti. I have these components now.

Because I am using the m.2 SSD I have no need for any drive bays, and I am not interested in RGB. I will probably not be overclocking or gaming so I don't need radiators and extra fans either.

I do want front panel USB 3.1 Type C.

I've spent hours searching for a suitable case, and while I see neat efficient cases for micro and mini builds, I've not found a case that is both compact and up to date in the ATX line.

Based on the reviews I bought a Dark Base 700, but when you consider the few things to go into it, that case looks the size of an elephant.

This is an enthusiast build and cost is not an issue - I just want a compact HTPC ATX case with front panel USB 3.1 Type C. Is there anything?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and also for the number of times I've visited this forum and benefited from the postings.

Jason

Solution
Differentiating USB standards is, somehow, difficult. USB 3.0 was replaced by USB 3.1 Gen 1. The latter has the same 5Gbps transfer speed. USB 3.1 Gen 2 carries 10Gbps. So a manufacturer can go ahead and call a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) port a "USB 3.1" port. [strike]You need to find a panel that specifies the speed, specific version, or both to get 10Gbps.[/strike] Edit: I didn't realize this, but the right panel would just have a connector for a motherboard Type-C header instead of a standard 3.0 connection.

This should work, but you'd have to cut your own hole in the case.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
The Chimera Industries Cerberus X (hilariously stupid name) is the smallest ATX case I know of. It's a bit expensive and doesn't have front panel USB-C. The Lian-Li O11 line all have front panel USB-C, and are a bit smaller than the average ATX desktop. Neither of these meet all your requirements.

Fractal Design has been adding USB-C to their cases, but the ATX desktops are huge. It's possible they'll release a new HTPC enclosure with Type-C, but it definitely won't support an ATX board. It's not very elegant but you could always get, like, a Silverstone Grandia HTPC case and add a 5.25" USB-C panel.

It's a heck of a niche. I hope you find something.

Nov 1, 2018
Thanks for the ideas. As you say it is a niche (right now) but surely this is the direction computers are going - to these tiny m.2 ssd's that mount directly on to the MOBO without the need for drive enclosures. They are faster and smaller. The case manufacturers are slow adapting.

I followed up on that Silverstone Grandia HTPC case GD09 - that size looks perfect. Thank you.https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=488&area=en

Using the 5.25 space to install a media dashboard is ingenious, such as the http://www.kingwin.com/usb-hubs/kw525-3u3cr/

I did some reading on the USB 3 and Type C conventions. From what I gather, USB 3.0 and 3.1 refer to the transfer speeds of 5gb and 10 gb respectively, and the "type" refers to the shape of the plug where Type A is the common USB plug that has been around for years, and Type C is the new rounded one. Perhaps more importantly, is that a Type C connector does not mean it is USB 3.1 The Kingwin link above is misleading for it says it has a USB-C port and implying it is USB 3.1 Type C, but in fact this particular one is only USB 3.0 with a Type C plug, so is just half the speed of a USB 3.1 Type C.

I've looked and I have not been able to find a media dashboard that has a USB 3.1 Type C port. Is there one?

Thanks, Jason

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Differentiating USB standards is, somehow, difficult. USB 3.0 was replaced by USB 3.1 Gen 1. The latter has the same 5Gbps transfer speed. USB 3.1 Gen 2 carries 10Gbps. So a manufacturer can go ahead and call a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB 3.0) port a "USB 3.1" port. [strike]You need to find a panel that specifies the speed, specific version, or both to get 10Gbps.[/strike] Edit: I didn't realize this, but the right panel would just have a connector for a motherboard Type-C header instead of a standard 3.0 connection.

This should work, but you'd have to cut your own hole in the case.

Solution
Nov 1, 2018
Thanks - following up that idea, I found a Youtube video installing a special cable from the MOBO to the front panel

- here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEaBnIq2YDE

- and here is a cable on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-1-65FT-USB3-1-Extension-Bracket/dp/B078N34FFZ/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1541185957&sr=1-11&keywords=usb+3.1+front+panel+header+to+usb-c+type-c

Most of these cables come with a bracket to allow them to be attached to the back panel but it can be mounted on the front. In the Youtube video the person used one of the USB 3.0 holes instead of cutting a new one.

So the answer to my question seems to be there that currently there is no compact HTPC ATX case with front panel USB 3.1 Type C, but the nudge from The Prime Mediocre shows the solution is to find the case that fits, and add my own front panel USB 3.1 Type C.

Thank you!

Jason