Company gives me two HP Z Workstation build options for Graphic Design. Which is better?

Jan 17, 2019
Some backstory, I work at a print shop for a large company and every few years they switch our computers for newer ones. Not only do we print products such as booklets, posters etc. but we also design lots of them from scratch. Currently we stick to graphic design and occasional photo development and don't do any 3D modeling, video editing, motion graphics and the like. This may change in the future as we expand our service. Our work has us using Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Lightroom simultaneously and hopping back and forth frequently, as well as a bunch of mostly lightweight programs on top of this.

As we're approaching the date when we have to switch computers, we're given two options to choose from for our new PC. One is a HP Z4 Workstation and the other is a HP Z4 G4 Workstation. From what I can tell, if you were to purchase these from HP you can customize them to your liking, picking from a list of components. This is something our IT department has already done without consulting us. Below is what they have told us about the builds.

HP Z4
CPU: Intel Xeon W-2133, 6 Cores, 3.6 GHz Clock, 8.25 MB Cache
RAM: 32 GB
Storage: 512 GB SATA SSD
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB

HP Z4 G4
CPU: Intel Xeon W-2145, 8 Cores, 3.7 GHz Clock, 11 MB Cache
RAM: 32 GB
Storage: HP Z Turbo Drive Quad Pro 512 GB SSD
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 4100 4GB

These are to be used in a dual monitor setup consisting of two HP EliteDisplay E273q monitors. Programs and applications will be installed locally, but most, if not all of our projects will be placed on a server. Cost is not a concern as we're being supplied directly by our company.

I read that CPU should be prioritized over GPU for workstation builds, which should make Build 2 the winner. Build 1 has GPU advantage and the difference between the two GPUs are massive from what I can tell. However it might not be anything we will be able to notice considering the programs we use. I don't think we can go wrong with either PC and they are not ourageously dissimilar, I just figured I'd ask for any experience on the matter.

Which would be most suitable for the work I've described? I'm more knowledgable on the software side and not too savvy when it comes to hardware. Apologies if my terminology is off and for any language mistakes - going from Swedish to English can sometimes throw me off a bit.

The GPU on the Z4 is much better but the one on the G4 is already overkill for those software and will last you for years. I would suggest the better CPU on the G4, which you will keep perhaps 1 year longer in theory

Jan 17, 2019

Thank you very much for your input, my colleagues are somewhat torn at the moment but I will relay this information to them. Searching for similar questions got us some good information about the components and what is desired for a workstation, but getting some confirmation on these specific builds is very appreciated.