Compaq 5000 series fresh install problem

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alive.computers.hardware.systems.compaq (More info?)

Hi everybody,

I made a fresh system for some friends.
Formated the 40gb drive NTFS Logical (I:) and active (H:) all ok.
Installed Windows XP Pro on first partition on the designated H: drive
label as I installed it on my running system (MSI-platform)
I formed the boot.ini as prescribed 0,0,0,1 blabla...
Then I attached it to the IDE0 and set it as master and it boots and runs
smoothly.
The software needed for them was installed and a fresh restart was perfect
!

Now the tricky part ;
I put it in the Compaq system 5028BE with latest BIOS flashed 128 mb ram
on a UWAVE 786K1-platform in the IDE0 as master.
Set up the rigt bootorder in BIOS and restarted. It detects the disk in
the IDE but doesn't start up the OS...
'error loading operating system'

Very strange error keeping in mind that on another platform with the same
settings it runs smoothly...

Help is on the way ?

ps: Don't try to convince me not buying Compaq syss because I'll never
will ;-)

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:21:55 +0100, Tony
<rafvzREWO@vegmail.com> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I made a fresh system for some friends.
>Formated the 40gb drive NTFS Logical (I:) and active (H:) all ok.
>Installed Windows XP Pro on first partition on the designated H: drive
>label as I installed it on my running system (MSI-platform)
>I formed the boot.ini as prescribed 0,0,0,1 blabla...
>Then I attached it to the IDE0 and set it as master and it boots and runs
>smoothly.
>The software needed for them was installed and a fresh restart was perfect
>!
>
>Now the tricky part ;
>I put it in the Compaq system 5028BE with latest BIOS flashed 128 mb ram
>on a UWAVE 786K1-platform in the IDE0 as master.
>Set up the rigt bootorder in BIOS and restarted. It detects the disk in
>the IDE but doesn't start up the OS...
>'error loading operating system'
>
>Very strange error keeping in mind that on another platform with the same
>settings it runs smoothly...
>
>Help is on the way ?
>
>ps: Don't try to convince me not buying Compaq syss because I'll never
>will ;-)

If I understand your description correctly then it sounds
like it might be a related problem to the one I'm having,
see the thread "booting Presario 5330 from an ATA/133 card".

Not that that helps either of us... :-(

Brian.

--
NOTE
Replies to the e-mail address used to post this

Sounds like you installed the OS in one machine and then moved the
drive to another machine. No wonder it won't boot the OS. Try
installing the OS on the machine you want to use it on.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I'll do that - dough I wonder what settings are different in the OS as
installed on the disk except for the hardware settings what can be altered
by cab files located on the disk ?
since I'm a bit booby forgive me.