compaq 5240

I have had this computer for years, not a computer geek. but after
all these years and hearing other people talk, i have come to the
conclusion that this model of compaq's is a lemon.

can anyoen let me know if this is correct?

As far as I am concerned, any Compaq system with a Presario logo on it should
have a yellow dimpled chassis. Presarios have consistently been outfitted with
bottom-of-the-barrel peripherals and motherboards and off-sized parts and
connectors. It's amazes me that they manage to run for very long at all.

I know that this response will attract flames, but this is the harsh reality I
have seen in personally servicing thousands of computers over the years.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:30:52 +0000,
Patrick.Lamattina@AIG-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (lifer) wrote:

>I have had this computer for years, not a computer geek. but after
>all these years and hearing other people talk, i have come to the
>conclusion that this model of compaq's is a lemon.
>
>can anyoen let me know if this is correct?

På Wed, 11 May 2005 17:55:53 +0200, skrev ben_myers_spam_me_not
charter.net :

> As far as I am concerned, any Compaq system with a Presario logo on it
> should
> have a yellow dimpled chassis. Presarios have consistently been
> outfitted with
> bottom-of-the-barrel peripherals and motherboards and off-sized parts and
> connectors. It's amazes me that they manage to run for very long at all.
>
> I know that this response will attract flames, but this is the harsh
> reality I
> have seen in personally servicing thousands of computers over the years.
>
> ... Ben Myers

I got my Presario 5686 in June 1999. It's been running fine since then.
I have, with no problems, equipped it with a 1GHz CPU(originally 450MHz),
512MB memory(orig.128), 64MB Graphic card (orig 8), DVD-burner(extra), two
larger hdd and filled it up with ISA and PCI-cards.

I guess you're right, though, but the picture isn't entirely dark

--
JP Loken
Sending with M2, Opera