Compaq CQ2931EA Upgrade CPU

mrbenosborne

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a compaq desktop PC and the current processor is the AMD E1-1200 APU CPU, my question is can I upgrade this to either an intel or stay the same with AMD but a much better one?

The product link is here

I would preferably prefer a quad core or a CPU with higher performace as I am a web developer and my IDE I use is quite cpu heavy.

Thanks

Solution
You wouldn't have to check compatibility with your current motherboard since you'd be completely replacing it with a newer motherboard. However, I just realized there's another issue. Your power supply is only rated for an absolutely low 65 W (this is the first time I've seen a desktop power supply rated for anything nearly that low) which means you'd have to replace that too. Trouble is, I can't find any Mini-ITX PSU in the UK that's well enough priced. Since that's the case, I think it's better off you just get a new computer entirely. If you'd like a recommendation for parts for building a brand new PC, I'd be glad to help.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
Ouch, talk about under-powered. That's a mobile (laptop) CPU in there, and it's soldered to the motherboard. In other words, you can't replace it. Not to worry, though, because you can replace the CPU and the motherboard. What's your budget? We can recommend you a much better motherboard and CPU.

mrbenosborne

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Hi Deus,

Thanks for your reply, and really? OMG! no wonder why it can't keep up lol, if I get a new motherboard I don't have a clue if everything in this computer will work thuogh?

Would you know what type of motherboard would be compatible and fit in the chasis?

My budget I don't really know not too expensive and i bought this for 380 so I might as well buy a whole new PC if it would be more than that, what do you think?

mrbenosborne

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Yeah it looks like a mini motherboard as I have taken a look inside and it would be GBP currency. Where would you usually find these on the web and do I have to check any compatibility with my current motherboard or are they all pretty much the same?

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
You wouldn't have to check compatibility with your current motherboard since you'd be completely replacing it with a newer motherboard. However, I just realized there's another issue. Your power supply is only rated for an absolutely low 65 W (this is the first time I've seen a desktop power supply rated for anything nearly that low) which means you'd have to replace that too. Trouble is, I can't find any Mini-ITX PSU in the UK that's well enough priced. Since that's the case, I think it's better off you just get a new computer entirely. If you'd like a recommendation for parts for building a brand new PC, I'd be glad to help.

Solution