Compaq Desktop Computer onboard battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochb

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
:hello:When I turn on my computer I'm getting the message "162- Systems options not set ... If this message persists, you may need to replace the onboard battery." I've taken the cover off the CPU but can not find the battery.

Solution
Lookf for a button cell such as the one here which is a CR2032:
CR2032.jpg

Note the number of the one in your system and get the same number. When you are ready to replace it just move the little lever outwards and the battery will 'pop' up. Remove it and insert the new one the same way and press it down so thelittle lever lock it into place.

TheDocGG

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
It's a little button battery, like in a watch. It'll be on the motherboard. They either look like this, or may be standing upright:

http://pctechnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/remove-battery.jpg

Make sure you replace it with a rechargeable one (any local computer store should sell them), or it may cause damage to the system.

If by cover you mean the heatsync and fan, then before re-attaching it you will need to remove the old thermal paste (the gloop that is on both it and the processor) very carefully. This guide will show you how:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/02/16/all-about-tim/4

In place of the cleaning solutions you can use rubbing alcohol, provided it is more than 90% alcohol, preferably it should be anhydrous.

Hi :)

Most motherboard batteries in Laptops are NOT rechargeable...

All the best Brett :)

popatim

Titan
Lookf for a button cell such as the one here which is a CR2032:
CR2032.jpg

Note the number of the one in your system and get the same number. When you are ready to replace it just move the little lever outwards and the battery will 'pop' up. Remove it and insert the new one the same way and press it down so thelittle lever lock it into place.

Solution

TheDocGG

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

The battery on the motherboard, otherwise known as the CMOS battery, are rechargeable, in that they charge while on the motherboard, not in that they can be removed and recharged. This is the same for all CMOS batteries on desktops and laptops.

The reason that they are rechargeable is that they are there to provide a constant charge to the CMOS chip while the computer is turned off, as this is not provided by the main laptop battery. If they were not rechargeable then they would not be able to perform this duty for more than a few months, and because of this it is important to replace it with an appropriate battery, and not just any button cell.

popatim

Titan
I'm afraid to tell you Docc but you are wrong. The button cells in computers today are not rechargable and I haven't really seen a recharable in a pc since the late 90's. There are recharable variant but the standard 2032 is not one of them.

gaurav3445

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
:

:non: u should watching under the mother board as some times it is placed with the other components or it could be near the restart button

Status
Not open for further replies.