Compaq IPAQ Desktop - Power-On Reset Password

I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
and I can't use the system....

How do I reset/remove the power-on password?

TIA,
Danny

Ask the seller what the password is.

<stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
> and I can't use the system....
>
> How do I reset/remove the power-on password?
>
> TIA,
> Danny

hh

Clear CMOS.
HH

<stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
> and I can't use the system....
>
> How do I reset/remove the power-on password?
>
> TIA,
> Danny

Gee, I wish I thought of that!

<:-|

Unfortunately, he is not currently avaiable....

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:52:46 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Ask the seller what the password is.
>

><stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
>> and I can't use the system....
>>
>> How do I reset/remove the power-on password?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Danny

No, that does not work, Puzzing.

The p/w must be stored in a seperate flash....

> No, that does not work, Puzzing.
>
> The p/w must be stored in a seperate flash....
>
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:52:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Clear CMOS.
> >HH
> >
> ><stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
> >> and I can't use the system....
> >>
> >> How do I reset/remove the power-on password?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Danny

You might try looking for "password reset jumpers on the motherboard. Worth a shot...

- pack

hh

Huh?
HH

<stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> No, that does not work, Puzzing.
>
> The p/w must be stored in a seperate flash....
>
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:52:33 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Clear CMOS.
> >HH
> >
> ><stonenews@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> I just bought a used IPAQ Desktop, but the Power-On Pasword is enabled
> >> and I can't use the system....
> >>
> >> How do I reset/remove the power-on password?
> >>
> >> TIA,
> >> Danny

Moving the CMOS jumper from normal to config and back, and even
removing the battery, does not reset the settings.

This leads me to believe the power-on password enable/disable is
stored in non-volitale memory (e.g., flash) rather than battery-backed
RAM of old, and that the battery is only there for the RTC (real-time
clock).

I've also called Compaq support, which is quite good, but as the model
no./serial no. sticker on the unit is torn and unreadable, I haven't
been able to get specific online or phone support.

Meanwhile, I have also found this article, on the HP web site:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=96490&prodTypeId=12454&objectID=PSD_DS000413_CW01
but it doesn't work, either.

I also received a suggestionfrom somone (via email) to remove (a
non-existent) jumper. Unhelpful.

As for the (rather stupid, IMO) suggestion (NOT from you, I'm not
implying this!) to ask the person I bought the computer from, he is
unavailable due to holiday/vacation, and I want to set up this system
before I leave town for 4 weeks (beginning the middle of this week).

Not a computer novice by any means, I'm looking for an answer from
someone who KNOWS (ie, has DONE this) on the iPaq desktop, rather than
*thinks* he knows.

It appears likely that I will have to wait a few weeks.

Thanks, anyway.

stonenews@pacbell.net haute in die Tasten:

> I've also called Compaq support, which is quite good, but as the model
> no./serial no. sticker on the unit is torn and unreadable, I haven't
> been able to get specific online or phone support.

Okay, so you have got a password protected computer without a readable
serial number. Maybe the thing has been stolen.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance

I've seen a lot of business machines with screwed up stickers due to any
number of reasons. One lot of Compaqs I saw at a used hardware shop had all
of the stickers removed. Knowing the significance of having that sticker to
identify the specific model I asked one of the sales guys. He pointed out
they were marked down just because of that, seems the company that had them
pealed the stickers off before they sold them. Used them as an
accountability check of what they had and what they sold off. Pity the poor
bastards that get one of those and goes looking for support info. Ranks
right up there with smashing hard drives to prevent data recovery.

KC