Compaq Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Compaq Presario 1600 XL 145 (not sure if rev A or B). I did post on
6/8 and got a very good response from Rick Blythin and now I have two
questions if anyone could answer them.
1. How can I tell if it is a revision A or B? According to the Crucial site,
while looking for memory, they are different when it comes to the memory.
One will take two sticks of 128 and the other will only take one.
2. Where does the ram get installed? I plan on doing this myself. I have a
background in computer and hardware, but I am new to notebooks. Is there
somewhere I can get instructions as to where it goes and what has to come
apart or could someone please advise me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hu man <hu man@nowhere.com> wrote:
: 2. Where does the ram get installed? I plan on doing this myself. I have a
: background in computer and hardware, but I am new to notebooks. Is there
: somewhere I can get instructions as to where it goes and what has to come
: apart or could someone please advise me?
: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:
Flip the laptop over. On the bottom, there should be a
cover with some sort of memory icon. Aside from the battery,
there likely aren't many covers on the bottom you are going
to be able to open. Find the one containing the memory, and
see how many slots are present. 1 slot would be the "A" revision,
I expect.

Bruce

Bruce:
There are two covers on the bottom, one has a modem icon, but the other
doesn't have an icon anywhere around or inside it. Is it safe to assume that
would be the one?
"Bruce Burden" <brucegb@realtime.net> wrote in message
> hu man <hu man@nowhere.com> wrote:
> : 2. Where does the ram get installed? I plan on doing this myself. I have
> : background in computer and hardware, but I am new to notebooks. Is there
> : somewhere I can get instructions as to where it goes and what has to
come
> : apart or could someone please advise me?
> : Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> :
> Flip the laptop over. On the bottom, there should be a
> cover with some sort of memory icon. Aside from the battery,
> there likely aren't many covers on the bottom you are going
> to be able to open. Find the one containing the memory, and
> see how many slots are present. 1 slot would be the "A" revision,
> I expect.
>
> Bruce
News==----
Newsgroups
=---

"hu man" <hu man@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Presario 1600 XL 145 (not sure if rev A or B). I
did post on
> 6/8 and got a very good response from Rick Blythin and now I
have two
> questions if anyone could answer them.
> 1. How can I tell if it is a revision A or B? According to the
Crucial site,
> while looking for memory, they are different when it comes to
the memory.
> One will take two sticks of 128 and the other will only take
one.
> 2. Where does the ram get installed? I plan on doing this
myself. I have a
> background in computer and hardware, but I am new to notebooks.
Is there
> somewhere I can get instructions as to where it goes and what
has to come
> apart or could someone please advise me?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Before you start you should probably go to HP's website and
download the service & maintenance guide(s) which will show you
the layout of the Presario, where are the various compartments,
how to affect repairs, etc. The website is a little difficult to
navigate, but worth the effort if you plan on any do-it-yourself
work.

Ron

hu man <hu man@nowhere.com> wrote:
: Bruce:
: There are two covers on the bottom, one has a modem icon, but the other
: doesn't have an icon anywhere around or inside it. Is it safe to assume that
: would be the one?
:
I'm puzzled as to why there would be a modem icon on the
bottom of the laptop. I would have expected a battery compartment
and a memory compartment, with the modem jack on the side of the
case.

But, go ahead and open them - one should be the cover you
want. :) Um, I assume there are some screws or some such to secure
the cover. Definitely don't force something open. :)

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes

"hu man" <hu man@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Presario 1600 XL 145 (not sure if rev A or B). I did post
on
> 6/8 and got a very good response from Rick Blythin and now I have two
> questions if anyone could answer them.
> 1. How can I tell if it is a revision A or B? According to the Crucial
site,
> while looking for memory, they are different when it comes to the memory.
> One will take two sticks of 128 and the other will only take one.
> 2. Where does the ram get installed? I plan on doing this myself. I have a
> background in computer and hardware, but I am new to notebooks. Is there
> somewhere I can get instructions as to where it goes and what has to come
> apart or could someone please advise me?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This document should help with the RAM. (Note the link will wrap).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=95193&lang=en&lc=en&cc=u
s&dlc=en&docname=c00035793

Rick

"Ron Hubbard" <notat@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Before you start you should probably go to HP's website and
> download the service & maintenance guide(s) which will show you
> the layout of the Presario, where are the various compartments,
> how to affect repairs, etc. The website is a little difficult to
> navigate, but worth the effort if you plan on any do-it-yourself
> work.
>
> Ron

Ron, thanks for the response, but unforunately, I could not find any manuals
for this model (their site is quite difficult to navigate or else I just
don't have the patients for it). Rick gave me a link that did show some
info, but I had successfully upgraded the ram before getting the link.

"Rick Blythin" <newsgroup_post@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> This document should help with the RAM. (Note the link will wrap).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=95193&lang=en&lc=en&cc=u
> s&dlc=en&docname=c00035793
>
> Rick

Rick, thanks for the response. It was a little late as I had already
successfully upgraded the ram. Unfortunately, this revision only supports
one stick of 128 (faster, but still slow for XP). I searched that site, I
don't think I have enough patients for some of these hard to navigate sites,
they could be a little easier.