Compaq presario 06 hardware failure

G

Hello, A couple weeks ago the computer started restarting on its own. Tonight I get a message saying "You received this message because hardware or software on your computer caused Windows to shut down unexpectedly and restart. This is a serious problem, commonly referred to as a stop error or blue screen." and "

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

* Random access memory (RAM)
* System board
* Central Processing Unit (CPU)
* Power supply"

I believe it started after my cousin plugged in his blackberry to charge it and I kept closing the screen that wanted me to install the software for it. I'm so frustrated with all this that I can't think straight. Any ideas on how to check each one myself???

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
The blackberry issue could simply be a coincidence.

Start off by checking your temperatures (try realtemp if you've not already got software) if they're within reasonable limits next try running memtest and see if that comes up with anything interesting.
It's unlikely to be the CPU as they very rarely die so if the previous tests come up blank it might be worth having a look at the power supply, should be able to find some online guides for that.