Compaq Presario 200 memory question

Hi,
I've just wiped the hd and installed win98se and did all the security
updates, etc. on this aging warrior.
P2mms 233 CPU, 3 gig hard drive, 56K ISA modem, integrated sound, and video.

The system is rock stable and running like a champ, however....
it only has one memory slot in it, and when I put a 64 meg stick in it comes
up as 48 megs, and when I put a 128 meg stick in it comes up as 64 megs, and
when I put a 246 Meg stick in it comes up as 32 megs. hmmm.... The 64
and 128 meg sticks are PC100, and the 256 is PC133.

The lower readings are reported both by Aida32, and win98's system
information routine, and dxdiag so the mobo is reporting it wrong to all of
the softwares.

Any ideas on how to correct the reporting, and more importantly, is it
really only use 48 megs of the 64 meg stick, etc.?

Aida reports the video is a 1 meg video, so I can't figure out where the
rest is going.

Thanks for any help.

Al

I think the memory back then was PC33 or possibly PC66. I am almost positive
they did not have PC100 back then. Also, have you checked to see if the
motherboard requires jumpers to specify the memory? (doubt if this the
problem)

jad

density problem most likely, go to the Compaq/hp site and see what
memory is recommended.

"-Alby Hewlet" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've just wiped the hd and installed win98se and did all the
security
> updates, etc. on this aging warrior.
> P2mms 233 CPU, 3 gig hard drive, 56K ISA modem, integrated sound,
and video.

> The system is rock stable and running like a champ, however....
> it only has one memory slot in it, and when I put a 64 meg stick in
it comes
> up as 48 megs, and when I put a 128 meg stick in it comes up as 64
megs, and
> when I put a 246 Meg stick in it comes up as 32 megs. hmmm....
The 64
> and 128 meg sticks are PC100, and the 256 is PC133.
>
> The lower readings are reported both by Aida32, and win98's system
> information routine, and dxdiag so the mobo is reporting it wrong to
all of
> the softwares.
>
> Any ideas on how to correct the reporting, and more importantly, is
it
> really only use 48 megs of the 64 meg stick, etc.?
>
> Aida reports the video is a 1 meg video, so I can't figure out where
the
> rest is going.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Al

Hi,
I just spent the last half hour rooting around on Compaq's website and was
unable to locate the memory type, or a manual.
Its a Presario 4528.
Thanks for the idea, though.
Al

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:39:04 -0400, -Alby Hewlet wrote:

> Hi,
> I just spent the last half hour rooting around on Compaq's website and was
> unable to locate the memory type, or a manual.
> Its a Presario 4528.
> Thanks for the idea, though.

Took me about 30 seconds to find at yahoo. 32meg on board, one slot for
another max of 32 meg for a 64meg max total. Spec'd for PC66 ram, but any
should work fine. If you got it to see more than 64 meg, be happy with it.

Thanks for the help Wes, there is a little difference, however. Mine only
has one slot.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:36:43 -0400, -Alby Hewlet wrote:

> Thanks for the help Wes, there is a little difference, however. Mine only
> has one slot.

If it was different then you gave me the wrong model number. The one that
matched the model number you provided also only has 1 mem slot for
expansion, but already has 32meg of ram on board (not removable). And it
will only address an additional 32meg for a max of 64. You can buy these
for about $6.

Wes!

I thought you meant it had 2 slots. On board 32, hmmm....
You're a prince. That explains it all. Thanks a million!

Alby