Question Comparable new PSU

Been a long time since I posted an actual question, but the the time has come.
My current, and I believe failing/wearing out/worn out, PSU is a Corsair AX850, the original version, obtained just a tad over 9 years ago (11/2011).
In the Corsair lineup what is today's 'equivalent' PSU?
Locally, and within my immediate budget, I have available only the Corsair RM750. ($125)
My build hasn't changed in a few yrs. but here it is if the info is needed: AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3 (4x4), GTX 970 FTW, Crucial MX500 SATA SSD, 3x 7200rpm HDD's, Corsair H50 cooler with 2x 120mm ML fans, 2x DVD/RW optical drives, 3x 200mm case fans.
Budget should improve a bit after the Holiday season.

Last edited:
Been a long time since I posted an actual question, but the the time has come.
My current, and I believe failing/wearing out/worn out, PSU is a Corsair AX850, the original version, obtained just a tad over 9 years ago (11/2011). In the Corsair lineup what is today's 'equivalent' PSU?
Locally, and within my immediate budget, I have available only the Corsair RM750. ($125)
My build hasn't changed in a few yrs. but here it is if the info is needed: AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3 (4x4), GTX 970 FTW, Crucial MX500 SATA SSD, 3x 7200rpm HDD's, Corsair H50 cooler with 2x 120mm ML fans, 2x DVD/RW optical drives, 3x 200mm case fans.
Budget should improve a bit after the Holiday season.
Your Vishera build is quite old now so the question is, at what point do you anticipate a new build and what will be the primary use for it? Your current build can run on a good quality 550-650 watt PSU, but looking ahead you may want a bit more so your options are not limited for a new system and it will easily cover your current system needs.

I think a 750 watt model would be the sweet spot giving you options for a powerful CPU/GPU combo like a Vermeer 5800x CPU / RTX 3070 GPU, as an example. My pick would be the Corsair RM750x (2018 model) which uses a better fan and capacitors than the RM. The best part is that it only costs a few dollars more ($140 Newegg) at the time of this post.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/79...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020179-na

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

Reactions: nostall
Thanks for the response and it is in line with my thinking. As for the next build, I am seriously considering a pre-built. Less hassle, for the most part, if something goes wrong as I'm not responsible for fixing it.
Even so, you can take the power supply with you to a prebuild. We all know how they cheap out on them, with a few exceptions I'm sure, from the best companies.

Reactions: nostall
RM750x would be more "equivalent". The RM (non-x) is a cost down version.

Thank you very much, both of you. Another question; kinda looking to the future, would going with an 850W be an actual waste of money and 'power'. I have always been of the mind that better to have a little too much then not quite enough. And would the HX be a still better choice.
Archaic59, you are absolutely right, should I buy a pre-built (why does that not sound good?) I could move the PSU into it.

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
kinda looking to the future, would going with an 850W be an actual waste of money and 'power'.
650W is actually the best choice because you don't need more, quality 650 gonna take care of any PC, but 750W models have more cables usually for GPU and CPU (if you will have Intel with 4+8 pin for CPU power)

Thank you very much, both of you. Another question; kinda looking to the future, would going with an 850W be an actual waste of money and 'power'. I have always been of the mind that better to have a little too much then not quite enough. And would the HX be a still better choice.
Archaic59, you are absolutely right, should I buy a pre-built (why does that not sound good?) I could move the PSU into it.

Since the PSU only delivers what's demanded of it, it's not really a waste of power. But unless you plan on getting a 3090 FE card down the road, 850W really isn't necessary.

So, after pretty much doing my Christmas shopping so I know how much $$$ I have left, I have narrowed my choice down to two models, both 750watt. HX or the RMx. Qualitywise, is the only difference the switchable rails or are there other important things to consider. I will not be using multiple rails. The diff. in price is about $20.