compare 2 cpu

Solution
Unless both CPUs use the same architecture, you can't directly compare clock speed. That site isn't very good, I wouldn't trust its comparisons.

If you're trying to decide on which CPU to buy, it's probably best to just post your budget and what you intend to use the PC for and let people find you the best CPU for you.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Unless both CPUs use the same architecture, you can't directly compare clock speed. That site isn't very good, I wouldn't trust its comparisons.

If you're trying to decide on which CPU to buy, it's probably best to just post your budget and what you intend to use the PC for and let people find you the best CPU for you.

Solution
Between Intel and AMD it will depend of the main task of the system.
Speed by itself does not determine CPU performance, you need to consider CPU cores (can execute many more threads at once), memory bandwidth, etc.
If you are looking at AMD, I suggest you look at newer CPUs (e.g Ryzen 5 1600) and APUs (e.g Ryzen 5 2200g), they perform better than those older units.

Speed it not how CPU's really work, because it's about instructions.

a 4 litre American POS car can have 200 horse power, where as a 4L European can can be 650hp.

Same engine size - totallt different in performance.

Your mobile phone is probably 2ghz+ but it isn't as fast as a desktop CPU

Lets use part of your analogy.
CPUs are about completing work, tasks (instructions), so you have a 2 door BMW M3 and a Mercedes SUV GLS 450 (7- passenger).
They could both travel at 200km/h and now they have to complete a task.
Each one has to move 21 passengers from point A to point B.
Which one will finish the task faster?

If only things where that simple,different archs are all about out of order execution,branch prediction,cache misses and so on,in this analogy it would be like some people that you take on each trip are not even people that you wanted to transport so they don't add to the total,or they fall out of the car and don't reach the destination,and a lot of software doesn't even have 7 passengers available for each trip,and then there is hyperthreading/smt so a four seater could work as a 8 seater.

silviulian

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Realy good explanations.but everybody want to finish the tasks as soon as possible.so,what should i choose: amd a8 quad core 3.6ghz or amd fx six core at 3.5ghz? Which one is faster? Which one is better?(yes,i know:you'll say rysen,but i want to understand what i have to look for a good cpu)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you're doing. Software has to be coded to take advantage of more cores, so if whatever you're running can take advantage of 6 then the FX would be faster. If it can only use 4 cores or less, the A8 might be a bit faster (depending on which particular A8 it is).

I wouldn't get either though, both are old, weak CPUs on obsolete platforms. Better to get a modern cpu like an AMD ryzen or Intel.