Jul 11, 2021
Hello,
I am lookong to gain advice. I am wanting to go back to school for my masters degree in animation. I experienced a lot of issues with my laptop supplied by my school while earning my bachelors. Using programs such as Autodesk Maya. Zbrush. And several other things that require some major processing needs. Over heatings, crashing, extensice processing times were major issues I had run into. All of these I want to avoid in my next venture.

It was suggested I build my own PC and I like this Idea as I can avoid all of the useless additions that come with a prebuilt set up <mainly the annoying colorful lights that do nothing more than use more energy> with the current market Ive heard getting certain parts is very difficult.

I also wish to be able to play games. Keep in mind Im not a hard core gamer mid to high graphics are no problem I am not looking for anything 4k.

Currently my price range is less than 1k. Are there any suggestions of what I could do or look for or possibly someone who could assist in this matter (rough estimations appreciated) or am I better off buying a prebuilt and modifying it later considering the market?

Last edited:
Solution
I have space for that size. Its a normal tower right?
What are the benifits to having a smaller "transportable" tower.
Well, since you mentioned "going back to school" , I did not know if you were taking the system with you and if there were space constrains.

Does it limit space for upgrades to either the graphics card, processing unit, ram/rom, as well as other things. Ive seen smaller towers before I just wanna learn all I can and make a well educated decision. ^^ I do appreciate your time and responses.
It could limit storage, depending of the format use for storage. A M.2 SSD is the size of a stick of gum. You could install two and it won't take more space than the space taken by the motherboard......but SATA HDDs...
Jul 11, 2021
When you say less than $1k, does that means around $995?
Does that amount includes the display?
Do you have a preference when it comes to PC case size?
Could you wait 4-6 weeks?

Yes under the 1k mark is my budget
Doesnt include the display, mouse /keyboard unfortunately.
I honestly dont know what the advantage would be in case size other than having the allowance of adding more parts later. Could you eleaborate?
Also time isnt an issue for me.

Yes under the 1k mark is my budget
Doesnt include the display, mouse /keyboard unfortunately.
I honestly dont know what the advantage would be in case size other than having the allowance of adding more parts later. Could you eleaborate?
Also time isnt an issue for me.

I just wanted to know if you have the space for a mid-tower PC case or you need something smaller and transportable.
If you could wait a bit you will be able to get better prices and find parts such as GPUs, which are extremely expensive and hard to find.

Jul 11, 2021
I just wanted to know if you have the space for a mid-tower PC case or you need something smaller and transportable.
If you could wait a bit you will be able to get better prices and find parts such as GPUs, which are extremely expensive and hard to find.

What are the benifits to having a smaller "transportable" tower. Does it limit space for upgrades to either the graphics card, processing unit, ram/rom, as well as other things. Ive seen smaller towers before I just wanna learn all I can and make a well educated decision. ^^ I do appreciate your time and responses.

What are the benifits to having a smaller "transportable" tower.
Well, since you mentioned "going back to school" , I did not know if you were taking the system with you and if there were space constrains.

Does it limit space for upgrades to either the graphics card, processing unit, ram/rom, as well as other things. Ive seen smaller towers before I just wanna learn all I can and make a well educated decision. ^^ I do appreciate your time and responses.
It could limit storage, depending of the format use for storage. A M.2 SSD is the size of a stick of gum. You could install two and it won't take more space than the space taken by the motherboard......but SATA HDDs would take a lot of space.
A small PC case, could also limit GPU and cooling size.

Solution
Jul 11, 2021

It could limit storage, depending of the format use for storage. A M.2 SSD is the size of a stick of gum. You could install two and it won't take more space than the space taken by the motherboard......but SATA HDDs would take a lot of space.
A small PC case, could also limit GPU and cooling size.

Oh ok I see. I have a laptop I can take with me to and from school it can handle basic stuff but I wouldnt trust it to do more than simple processing. As for the tower I plan on keeping it at home. I am most likely not going to the school itself. Even if I do I dont mind having a big tower Ill find the space.

The major issue I am trying to avoid is overheating of all internal parts if possible while also getting the most use out of the entire system. I dont need a smaller unit if it means there is an over heating risk.

Functionality over looks lol.

Last edited: