Comparing Dell vs HP specs, need help

ChicagoCubs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Considering purchasing a Dell 8910 ($799) or and HP Envy 750 ($999), with the specs below. Family computer with occasional Xbox win10 gaming. Big difference seems to be the HP has an SSD and upgraded graphics card. Which of the two would be the better bang for the buck? Thanks.

Dell
Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz
16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM

Drives:
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Graphics & Video:
2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750Ti Graphics

Communications:
Dell Wireless-AC + Bluetooth® 4.0
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 Connector)

Audio:
Integrated 7.1 with Waves MaxxAudio® 4 Processing

Keyboard & Mouse:
Dell Wired Keyboard + Laser Mouse

Ports & Slots:
2x USB 3.1 (1x Type C, 1x Type A)
7x USB 3.0
2x USB 2.0
1x HDMI
1x Multi-Media Card Reader
1x Combination Audio jack

HP:
Operating system
Windows 10 Home

Processor and graphics
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor

Memory
16 GB DDR4 memory

Hard drive
256 SSD + 2 TB HDD storage

Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960

Optical drive
Ultra Slim-tray SuperMulti DVD burner

Networking
802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 M.2 combo
Audio

DTS Studio Sound™

Keyboard and mouse
HP USB Wired Keyboard with volume control

Power supply
300 W AC power adapter

Memory slots
2 DIMM

Expansion slots
1 PCIe x1; 1 PCIe x16; 1 M.2

External I/O Ports
2 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0

Solution
The 980 is good, though the 1070 is better. And its tricky to to fit a 1070 in a $1000 pre-built, really, but you should be looking for pre-builts with a 1060, rather than a 960 or the much older 750ti. Going from a 960 to a 1060 is a much bigger marginal boost to your gaming than going from an i5 to a same-generation i7. You also have to watch for the dodgy power supplies, common in pre-builts, which will end up necessitating new PSUs when you upgrade (or depending on just how bad, even when you're not).

ChicagoCubs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Thanks for responding DSzymborski. Not necessarily going prebuilt route, but don't have much experience building and just had a bad experience trying to install an Samsung 850 SSD with and porting over OS to boot (Dell service screwed me in process), so was thinking prebuilt might be best way to go. Not sure if there is a motherboard smart enough to guide me with messages if encounter issues in my first build process.

Regarding GPU, I thought the GTX 980 was good for gaming (and even entry level VR) - what would you suggest as decent GPU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The 980 is good, though the 1070 is better. And its tricky to to fit a 1070 in a $1000 pre-built, really, but you should be looking for pre-builts with a 1060, rather than a 960 or the much older 750ti. Going from a 960 to a 1060 is a much bigger marginal boost to your gaming than going from an i5 to a same-generation i7. You also have to watch for the dodgy power supplies, common in pre-builts, which will end up necessitating new PSUs when you upgrade (or depending on just how bad, even when you're not).

Solution

ChicagoCubs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Thanks for the response. I looked around at pre-builds with 1070 at 1k and it was difficult (not possible with Dell or HP). Noticed some gaming computers like CyberPowerPC, but not sure if that fits the family computer mold (my kids would think it's cool, not sure if my wife and I can work and multi-task on it)? Also, what's the AMD equiv of 1070?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There isn't an equivalent right now.

Daily work and multi-tasking is simple for any modern CPU. The only difference is if you're doing some high-end video work that *would* get some benefit to an i7 over an i5. But the majority of general tasks, a CPU from 10 years ago would still be just fine. A better GPU doesn't make an otherwise similarly configured PC run worse in day-to-day use.

(Incidentally, as a baseball writer, it always warms my heart to see baseball references on non-baseball sites)

ChicagoCubs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Ok, going to stop looking at Dell and HP, found this. Going to wait until goes on sales, needs to drop a few hundred to get closer to $1k.

Processor & Memory:
• Intel® Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz
• 32GB DDR4 (4-DIMM) 2133MHz RAM
Drives:
• 1TB 7200RPM SATA3 Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
• DVD-RW (Writes to DVD/CD)
Operating System:
• Microsoft® Windows 10
Graphics & Video:
• 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics
Communications:
• 10/100/1000 Gigabite Ethernet LAN
• Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0

Expandability (Slots):
• 2x PCI-E x1
Expandability (Bays):
• 1x 3.5" Internal Slots
• 1x 3.5" Hot Swap HDD
Ports & Slots:
• 6x USB 3.0
• 2x USB 2.0
• 3x Mini Display Port
• 1x HDMI
• 1x DVI
• 2x Front Audio Jacks
• 3x Rear Audio Jacks
• 1x RJ-45 Port

Additional Information:
• Power Supply: 500W

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

As pre-builts go, that one's OK. You probably just need a 1060, though.

ChicagoCubs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
Thanks for all your help DSzymborski. I would have not moved to upgrade my GPU without your input. Above is for an Acer, the CyberPowers little cheaper (with 1060 vs 1070, and smaller SSD), but less familiar and don't like white computers.

Let's hope the Cubs build a dynasty and keep the excitement going.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm glad that you were successful and enjoyed the process! You'll never want to *not* build a PC again. And now, upgrades will be super simple later, so if you want to, you never have to shell out for an entire new build again, instead being able to evolve your machine as time passes.

TRENDING THREADS