[SOLVED] Comparing performance on two different Intel CPUs

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I have an Intel Core i7-4790S @ 3.20GHz in my old 2014 HP Sprout computer and my son has an Intel Core i5-10400F @ 2.90GHz on his new Cyber PowerPC gaming computer. I looked up the Bench Mark tests and wonder about a few things.
Why is his CPU faster in some ways? I have a faster clock speed, but he has more cores ... does that make his perform better? and the Generation?
just wanted to learn a little more about older CPUs versus new ones.

Solution
you can check out the Intel Ark and compare a lot of the technologies the different generations have used.

Why is his CPU faster in some ways? I have a faster clock speed, but he has more cores ... does that make his perform better? and the Generation?
really what would be the point of producing new generation chips and tech if there was no performance gain?
of course as the technology ages and is built upon, it should be improving as time goes by.
you can check out the Intel Ark and compare a lot of the technologies the different generations have used.

really what would be the point of producing new generation chips and tech if there was no performance gain?
of course as the technology ages and is built upon, it should be improving as time goes by.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer
Solution
I have an Intel Core i7-4790S @ 3.20GHz in my old 2014 HP Sprout computer and my son has an Intel Core i5-10400F @ 2.90GHz on his new Cyber PowerPC gaming computer. I looked up the Bench Mark tests and wonder about a few things.
just wanted to learn a little more about older CPUs versus new ones.
Cores/threads/instructions per clock and other weenie stuff.

Your 4790s has 4 cores and 8 threads. The S at the end of 4790s indicates a lower power (65w)version of the 4790.
The clock rate is what the chip should do when all cores/threads are in use.
But, if not all threads are in use, a chip has the ability to turbo up to a higher clock rate for a few cores.
In the 4790s case, that is 4.0 By comparison a i7-4790(84w) will have a clock of 3.6 but the same 4.0 turbo.

For the(65w) i5-10400f(the f indicates no integrated graphics) you get 6 cores or 12 threads. The base clock is 2.90 over all 12 threads.
If the load permits, the turbo can be 4.3.

Using clock rate is valid for these two processors, they have similar architectures.

Where things get interesting is the 11th gen processors which can deliver some 18% more

For ryzen, there was a similar bump when going to the current 5000 series.