Comparing The Motorola Moto X Style/Pure And Moto X Play Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Doe

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
This article starts out completely wrong. The "pure edition" is NOT pure Android. This was the first thing motto clarifyed. The old "pure" edition was pure Android. This time pure is an illusion to the fact that they a "pure" Motorola devices free of carrier input, either in physical design or software. The "pure edition" will have all the cool moto stuff, active display, always on, ect, ect.

alex davies

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
This article starts out completely wrong. The "pure edition" is NOT pure Android. This was the first thing motto clarifyed. The old "pure" edition was pure Android. This time pure is an illusion to the fact that they a "pure" Motorola devices free of carrier input, either in physical design or software. The "pure edition" will have all the cool moto stuff, active display, always on, ect, ect.

That's why I used quotation marks around pure and didn't say stock Android. Though other than the small amount of Moto apps, Android on Motorola's phones is as close as you'll get to stock Android without buying a Nexus device.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Moto X phones are quite nice. I still like the near-clean design of the UI that is unmatched by anything else on the market, which makes the phone a joy to use. The new Galaxy phones with their glass back should scare the shit out of anyone.

I have the first gen MotoX that is almost 2 years old. The camera still sucks and is a major reason for my desire to upgrade. But to me, a major selling point of the original Moto X was that it was NOT GIGANTIC!

The new Moto X is a full inch larger at 5.7". I've played with the slightly larger Moto Nexus model and I don't like the size. But I guess market data shows that the sales are in the larger screens :(

I love the look of the new MOTO-X, but wouldn't mind a 5.3" model... but guess I'll be stuck with the Style/pure with its somewhat confusing name.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
MotoX could have made it more of a leader by having USB 3 Type C connector. How hard is that? This is why Apple is still the leader and everyone else is catch-up.

Even GS6 has taken a step back by going USB3 to USB 2, ugh.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What is the big deal with a USB connector Type C anyway?

ron_R

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Can the unlocked version do CDMA + LTE + GSM? I have US Cellular (CDMA+LTE) and it would be great to be able to take this phone overseas; pop in a SIM card from some carrier, and connect on GSM. (That could be done on an older Motorola phone, but when US Cellular got LTE, it was no longer possible to have a Motorola phone that would do all the bands).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Google is your friend.

Its the replacement of the long-time current mini connector which SUCKS. Always has sucked. Its works like the Apple Lightning connector - which does work very well as I've played with the iPhone6. You plug it in. You don't have to see which end is "up" on the cable or the phone or both... in other words, its a double-sided mini connector that is the new spec.

I'll still likely get the phone or maybe the 3rd gen Moto-G because its a 5" screen and half the price.
The new G and X phones have a slot for adding a microSD chip... Going through the MotoMaker as I'd customize it like my org MotoX... it'd be $220 for the 16GB model.

Status
Not open for further replies.