Comparing this desktop to my laptop

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
I am looking at buying a desktop from someone and wanted to compare performance to my laptop's performance. I know it's not easy to compare but I'm wanting at least same performance for now until I can upgrade the desktop. They are only asking $340 for the system so keep this in mind. I'm also putting in only the relevant specs.

MY laptop:
Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4-3.4GHz
16GB Ram
3GB Nvidia GTX 770M
1920x1080 17.3" display

Possible Desktop
Intel i5-4690K
MSI Z87-g41 motherboard
8GB Ram 1x8GB (I have another 8GB I'm gonna put into it if I get it)
EVGA GTX 750 SC- P/N 02G-P4-2758-KR
Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W

No HDD (I'm adding a 1TB HDD I have sitting around)
Also they have a Razer BLack Widow 2014 Keyboard and Logitech Wireless Mouse they are including in the deal. The case is a Corsair unknown kind.looks like one of their cheaper models but I could be wrong. I do plan on using the machine for gaming at 1080p just like my laptop. And being a desktop it would be easier to upgrade. I figure down the road slap in a better psu and like a 980ti and I'll be extremely happy considering what I am used to right now.

Anyhow where the guts are. I've read that Mobile cpus are weaker compared to their desktop counterparts so my laptops cpu is more like an i5?

Point is, how would this desktop stack up against my laptop once I've added the ram? Would it be similar performance? Less or more and by how much roughly it that even matters.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Solution
I'd say similar, BUT, and it's important, it won't throttle, the laptop will always struggle to manage heat. Swapping the 750 for something decent would make that a nicely high end gaming machine.

intimthebrave

Commendable
May 10, 2016
desktop 750 vs mobile 770,the 770 would be around 30% higher FPS, as long as the laptop did not have throttling problems due to heat, that said, you could always get a better video card for the desktop, for 340 id go for it, that cpu is worth 200 bucks by itself.

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

My Laptop is an Alienware 17. I have yet to see throttling issues. (I traded my older desktop for it, due to space constraints, but, since I live at my own place now, I'm not as worried about space and more about performance. I've begun thinking I'd probably be able to sell my laptop once I had the desktop to help finance upgrades for the desktop.

TRENDING THREADS