[SOLVED] Comparison between two RAM manufacturers

Mar 14, 2020
Which one to chose for my system?
Timetec Hynix IC CJR 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800
or
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz

So i have ryzen 5 3600 with motherboard b450m mortar, which will be great for oc?
I saw many negative reviews about partiot and i was thinking to buy timetec better.

Solution
Read the first comment of this reddit post:

Reddit r/AMD memory thread

I'll do the calculations using the same formula as in the link above.

The Timetec Hynix kit is a 3600 MT/s CL18 kit... 1800 MHz DDR(it's x2 since DDR stands for Double Data Rate).
For the Patriot Viper kit... 3200 MT/s CL16, so 1600 MHz DDR.

Timetec Hynix: (18/1800)*1000= 10 ns
Patriot Viper: (16/1600)*1000= 10 ns

The kits will be virtually the same with XMP enabled. I'd just take the cheapest of the two, if how it looks doesn't matter.

The Timetec Hynix kit is a 3600 MT/s CL18 kit... 1800 MHz DDR(it's x2 since DDR stands for Double Data Rate).

The kits will be virtually the same with XMP enabled. I'd just take the cheapest of the two, if how it looks doesn't matter.

Reactions: adyoyo
Solution
Mar 14, 2020

Thank you for answer! I knew that the post time is 10ns for both but the thing is many users report the patriot viper ram beeing with compatibility issues even with same stick inserted in motherboard, i mean 2 sticks of the same manufacturer. All the reviews for timetec are slightly better.

Last edited:
Thank you for answer! I knew that the post time is 10ns for both but the thing is many users report the patriot viper ram beeing with compatibility issues even with same stick inserted in motherboard, i mean 2 sticks of the same manufacturer. All the reviews for timetec are slightly better.

Don't take amazon reviews too seriously... they're helpful to an extent sure.

There shouldn't be compatibility problems with lits usually... the cases where the modules won't work together are quite rare and they have a return policy anyways.

For reference, I'm running a Patriot Viper Elite 3200 MHz CL16(very similar to the one ypu posted) kit OCed to 3433 for almost 2 years without problems.

Reactions: adyoyo
Mar 14, 2020
Don't take amazon reviews too seriously... they're helpful to an extent sure.

There shouldn't be compatibility problems with lits usually... the cases where the modules won't work together are quite rare and they have a return policy anyways.

For reference, I'm running a Patriot Viper Elite 3200 MHz CL16(very similar to the one ypu posted) kit OCed to 3433 for almost 2 years without problems.
Do you think the Patriot Viper ram could be oc to 3600 or even higher?

Mar 14, 2020
Depends on your luck with the kit... you might need to increase voltage or loosen up the timings quite a bit.

I've tried OCing to 3600 MHz but I had to loosen the timings so much that it was performing worse compared to the 3200 MHz standard(XMP enabled).
Then what about buying some kit like timetec one which is 25$ more expensive and i could overclock a little bit more and get more performance out of it? :D What do you think ?

It is worth some 25$ extra bucks for future improve of the system, if i want to upgrade to a better mobo and cpu i mean.

Last edited:
Then what about buying some kit like timetec one which is 25$ more expensive and i could overclock a little bit more and get more performance out of it? :D What do you think ?

It is worth some 25$ extra bucks for future improve of the system, if i want to upgrade to a better mobo and cpu i mean.

You might be able to squeeze a bit more from the hynix kit by getting the timings down to 16... the improvement will be minimal though(you won't notice it most likely). The jump from 3200 to 3433 on mine is not noticeable(0-1 fps) , but I left it at the higher frequency since I didn't need to change timings or voltage.

I'd buy the cheapest kit...
OCing will get you a really small performance boost.