Comparison of wi-fi networked smart LED light bulbs?

mccoolaustinm

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hello everyone!

I'm interested in investing in a small collection of smart LED bulbs, specifically for bedside lamps, at least to start with. There are a lot of options though and my general consensus is that all the top brands sell quality products (Philips Hue, LIFX, and a few others) and so I'm looking for some further elaboration by anyone who may own a few smart bulbs.

I have my reasons for wanting them... For one, as a budding software developer, it's just one more API to play with. And there lies my first requirement... an open API to interact with the lights on the network, I assume using HTTP. I share a room with my roommate and we have desks on opposite sides of the room, and different morning schedules. With smart bulbs we could control the brightness of lights on just one side of the room, perfect for gently illuminating our desk spaces when one of us has to work late into the night or for fumbling through dresser drawers at 4AM in his case and 6:30AM in mine.

I'm open to all suggestions and opinions! I just want to know more about the market.

TRENDING THREADS