[SOLVED] Compatability between WAVLINK AC1200 and Google Wifi - AC1200

Jibsman57

Reputable
Main Question:
My customer has 5 Google Wifi - AC1200 throughout their house and shop. We want to extend the WiFi signal using the WAVLINK-WiFi Extender. The Extender says "Mesh", so I'm hoping I can use the same Mesh name providing extended wifi without having to switch anything on any devices. I am hoping to pull the network signal out of the Mesh out port to a POE converter to a POE camera, and also use the extended WiFi signal to communicate with the current WiFi cameras.

I've attached a homemade drawing at the bottom.

Another question:
There is one WiFi camera on a wall that will not be in Line Of Sight of the extender. Currently the camera video cuts out a lot, probably due to that issue. There is a Google Mesh on an external wall that I could possibly connect a cable to the signal out port on the Mesh, drill a hole in the wall to outside and then add an external Google Mesh or some other extender to get WiFi to that camera and improve the video signal.

Feedback and comments welcome!
Cheers!

f15tZgh.png

Solution
There is no standard for "mesh". It is all a marketing words used by vendors. It is basically just a slightly different form of repeater......and even repeaters are using a method that is not actually part of the wifi standard it just has been done the same way for so long equipment tends to work between vendors.

This means you must use the same brand of equipment....which I am sure is part of this scam intentionally.

What most people don't seem to know is mesh buys you almost nothing. If you use AP..ie wifi device connected via ethernet... everything is still one network. This is preferred designed used by large enterprise companies. They do not use stupid mesh stuff.

What mesh is involved in is when you have wifi...
There is no standard for "mesh". It is all a marketing words used by vendors. It is basically just a slightly different form of repeater......and even repeaters are using a method that is not actually part of the wifi standard it just has been done the same way for so long equipment tends to work between vendors.

This means you must use the same brand of equipment....which I am sure is part of this scam intentionally.

What most people don't seem to know is mesh buys you almost nothing. If you use AP..ie wifi device connected via ethernet... everything is still one network. This is preferred designed used by large enterprise companies. They do not use stupid mesh stuff.

What mesh is involved in is when you have wifi backhaul going from the unit back to the main router. The better mesh systems use a separate radio to do this. This is partially why different mesh systems are not compatible. Many mesh systems will work with other system using the older more standard form of repeater but again even this is not a actual "standard" it just mostly works.

In any case you want to avoid using any form of wifi connection when you have any other option. Most times for cameras since you need to provide power and most run over PoE you can just hook the cameras up via ethernet all the way. In addition since you must have power things like powerline adapters can carry the signals back
over the powerline rather than using wifi to get to the cameras. Now if you are using solar power or the power is in a different building then you need to look at wifi. In those cases you want to use point to point wifi bridges. It is kinda just the backhual part of a good mesh system without the repeater part.

I think a better question is why do you think you need "mesh". Don't let the marketing guys fool you.

Solution