Barry

Possibly should be contacting someone at MS Press to ask this but I might be
missing something and wanted to check it out first,

Im preping myself for the 70-272 exam using the below MS Press book, before
I contact them to ask why this hasnt been included in the domments and
corrections
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875453 ) can somone
confirm if I am right, should the correct answer be B. and C. ?
MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272) Supporting Users And
Troubleshooting Desktop Applications On A Microsoft Windows XP Operating
System
ISBN:0-7356-2088-1

In chapter 13 Objective 1.1 Q6. is asks
6. One of your customers has a computer running Windows XP Professional. He
tells you that he has several applications that he wants to install, but
they are older versions. The customer knows that Windows XP features an
application compatibility mode, but he wanted to check with you before
installing any of the programs. Which of the following applications should
you tell the customer to purchase a new version of rather than installing by
using an application compatibility mode?
A. Two games, belonging to his son, which were designed for Windows 98.
B. A diagnostics program designed for Windows 2000 that includes disk
scanning and defragmenting software.
C. Antivirus software designed for Windows 2000.
D. The software that came with a scanner the customer bought when he was
using Microsoft Windows Me.

Correct Answers: B
A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are safe
to install using an application compatibility mode.
B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk or
CD-ROM drive.
C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that the
product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
designed for previous versions of Windows.
D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However, the
software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you may need
to download drivers written for Windows XP.

Don't bother contacting them.

This looks right to me...
C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that the
product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
designed for previous versions of Windows.

B only is the correct answer.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eXHCr%23EpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Barry <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> hunted and
pecked:
> Possibly should be contacting someone at MS Press to ask this but I might
> be missing something and wanted to check it out first,
>
> Im preping myself for the 70-272 exam using the below MS Press book,
> before I contact them to ask why this hasnt been included in the domments
> and corrections
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875453 ) can
> somone confirm if I am right, should the correct answer be B. and C. ?
> MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272) Supporting Users And
> Troubleshooting Desktop Applications On A Microsoft Windows XP Operating
> System
> ISBN:0-7356-2088-1
>
> In chapter 13 Objective 1.1 Q6. is asks
> 6. One of your customers has a computer running Windows XP Professional.
> He tells you that he has several applications that he wants to install,
> but they are older versions. The customer knows that Windows XP features
> an application compatibility mode, but he wanted to check with you before
> installing any of the programs. Which of the following applications should
> you tell the customer to purchase a new version of rather than installing
> by using an application compatibility mode?
> A. Two games, belonging to his son, which were designed for Windows 98.
> B. A diagnostics program designed for Windows 2000 that includes disk
> scanning and defragmenting software.
> C. Antivirus software designed for Windows 2000.
> D. The software that came with a scanner the customer bought when he was
> using Microsoft Windows Me.
>
> Correct Answers: B
> A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are
> safe to install using an application compatibility mode.
> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk
> or CD-ROM drive.
> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that the
> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
> designed for previous versions of Windows.
> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
> the software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you
> may need to download drivers written for Windows XP.

Here is some documentation...

[[Warning Be careful when you use Compatibility Mode to bypass version
warnings in installation programs. Some programs are designed for a specific
operating system. By design, such programs prevent the use of later
versions. Typically, these programs are system tools (such as antivirus,
firewall, CD-burning, disk management, or backup software) that run at a
very low kernel mode. These programs can cause serious problems if you
install them.]]
How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911

--

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:50:50 +0100, Barry wrote:

> Possibly should be contacting someone at MS Press to ask this but I might be
> missing something and wanted to check it out first,
>
> Im preping myself for the 70-272 exam using the below MS Press book, before
> I contact them to ask why this hasnt been included in the domments and
> corrections
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875453 ) can somone
> confirm if I am right, should the correct answer be B. and C. ?
> MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272) Supporting Users And
> Troubleshooting Desktop Applications On A Microsoft Windows XP Operating
> System
> ISBN:0-7356-2088-1
>
> In chapter 13 Objective 1.1 Q6. is asks
> 6. One of your customers has a computer running Windows XP Professional. He
> tells you that he has several applications that he wants to install, but
> they are older versions. The customer knows that Windows XP features an
> application compatibility mode, but he wanted to check with you before
> installing any of the programs. Which of the following applications should
> you tell the customer to purchase a new version of rather than installing by
> using an application compatibility mode?
> A. Two games, belonging to his son, which were designed for Windows 98.
> B. A diagnostics program designed for Windows 2000 that includes disk
> scanning and defragmenting software.
> C. Antivirus software designed for Windows 2000.
> D. The software that came with a scanner the customer bought when he was
> using Microsoft Windows Me.
>
> Correct Answers: B
> A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are safe
> to install using an application compatibility mode.
> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk or
> CD-ROM drive.
> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that the
> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
> designed for previous versions of Windows.
> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However, the
> software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you may need
> to download drivers written for Windows XP.

I'm with you : B and C would both be correct answers. Seems to me that the
explanation for C in the answer section contradicts the "incorrect"
designation.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Barry

Wes, Thanks for getting back to me so quick,

Yes but wouldn't you also advise the user to upgrade their AV software to a
version compatible with Win XP ?

> [...]
>> using Microsoft Windows Me.
>>
>> Correct Answers: B
>> A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are
>> safe to install using an application compatibility mode.
>> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
>> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk
>> or CD-ROM drive.
>> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
>> the
>> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
>> designed for previous versions of Windows.
>> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
>> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
>> the software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you
>> may need to download drivers written for Windows XP.

Hi Sorry Wes I don't follow at all,

Upgrade the system tools to a newer version but not the AV software, but by
your quoted documentation both are not suitable for use in compatibility
mode (if they are designed for previous Windows versions).

Am I missing something obvious ?

> [...]
>> using Microsoft Windows Me.
>>
>> Correct Answers: B
>> A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are
>> safe to install using an application compatibility mode.
>> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
>> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk
>> or CD-ROM drive.
>> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
>> the
>> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
>> designed for previous versions of Windows.
>> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
>> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
>> the software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you
>> may need to download drivers written for Windows XP.

Barry,

We all agree on B. Buy new software.

[[C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that the
product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
designed for previous versions of Windows.]]

*If* the software manufacturer specifically states that the antivirus
product functions with Windows XP, there is *no* need to run it in
compatibility mode. And if it works with Windows XP as stated by the
software manufacturer there is no need to purchase a new AV product.

This is purely academic because *no* AV software manufacturer is gonna say
that. In the real world they're gonna want to sell you a whole new product.

So either you buy new AV software or run the old AV software *without* the
Compatibility Mode.

Actually the only item on the list that I would run with the Program
Compatibility Wizard are the two Windows 98 games. As stated it's worth a
shot to try them. There are probably no XP versions of those games anyway.

D. As stated ME scanner drivers are not going to work in XP. Gonna have to
buy a new scanner, the manufacturer is *not* going to have drivers for the
scanner.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ejWVBUFpFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>>> using Microsoft Windows Me.
>>>
>>> Correct Answers: B
>>> A. Incorrect While there is no guarantee they will work, the games are
>>> safe to install using an application compatibility mode.
>>> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
>>> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard
>>> disk or CD-ROM drive.
>>> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
>>> the
>>> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
>>> designed for previous versions of Windows.
>>> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
>>> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
>>> the software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you
>>> may need to download drivers written for Windows XP.

Thanks Sharon,

Thought I was loosing it there for a second.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:58:01 +0100, Barry wrote:

> [...]
>>> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk
>>> or
>>> CD-ROM drive.
>>> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
>>> the
>>> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
>>> designed for previous versions of Windows.
>>> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
>>> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
>>> the
>>> software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you may
>>> need
>>> to download drivers written for Windows XP.
>>
>> I'm with you : B and C would both be correct answers. Seems to me that the
>> explanation for C in the answer section contradicts the "incorrect"

Tests are so odd. Sometimes there is a best answer and a better answer. So
if this was a real test question - what is the difference between B and C
that makes B the "correct" answer according to the guide?

The only difference I see in the explanations is that antivirus should
definitely be upgraded - don't even think about running compatibility mode.

While the explanation for B slip slides around the possibility of running
in compatibility mode, concluding that the better decision is "don't do it"
based on the presence of disk utilities. I think that both you and I see
this app in the same category as antivirus and there is no slip sliding as
to what should be done with it: The only "system tools" that should be used
are those written for the system that they will be used with.

Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully if
you answered C and it was marked wrong.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Barry

> *If* the software manufacturer specifically states that the antivirus
> product functions with Windows XP, there is *no* need to run it in
> compatibility mode. And if it works with Windows XP as stated by the
> software manufacturer there is no need to purchase a new AV product.

The thing is it doesn't say that, it specifically states that both the AV
software and system tools are designed for Windows 2000.

> This is purely academic because *no* AV software manufacturer is gonna say
> that. In the real world they're gonna want to sell you a whole new
> product.

I know but I'm trying to pass the exam so it's sort of the Academic point
I'm interested in.

> Actually the only item on the list that I would run with the Program
> Compatibility Wizard are the two Windows 98 games. As stated it's worth a
> shot to try them. There are probably no XP versions of those games
> anyway.
>
> D. As stated ME scanner drivers are not going to work in XP. Gonna have
> buy a new scanner, the manufacturer is *not* going to have drivers for the
> scanner.

Agreed... if you're in the real world, but the provided answer appears to be
the correct according to the course work in the 70-272 book,

> Barry,
>
> We all agree on B. Buy new software.
>
> [[C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
> the
> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
> designed for previous versions of Windows.]]
>
> *If* the software manufacturer specifically states that the antivirus
> product functions with Windows XP, there is *no* need to run it in
> compatibility mode. And if it works with Windows XP as stated by the
> software manufacturer there is no need to purchase a new AV product.
>
> This is purely academic because *no* AV software manufacturer is gonna say
> that. In the real world they're gonna want to sell you a whole new
> product.
>
> So either you buy new AV software or run the old AV software *without* the
> Compatibility Mode.
>
> Actually the only item on the list that I would run with the Program
> Compatibility Wizard are the two Windows 98 games. As stated it's worth a
> shot to try them. There are probably no XP versions of those games
> anyway.
>
> D. As stated ME scanner drivers are not going to work in XP. Gonna have
> buy a new scanner, the manufacturer is *not* going to have drivers for the
> scanner.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ejWVBUFpFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Barry <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> hunted and
> pecked:
>> Hi Sorry Wes I don't follow at all,
>>
>> Upgrade the system tools to a newer version but not the AV software, but
>> by your quoted documentation both are not suitable for use in
>> compatibility mode (if they are designed for previous Windows versions).
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious ?

>>> Here is some documentation...
>>>
>>> [[Warning Be careful when you use Compatibility Mode to bypass version
>>> warnings in installation programs. Some programs are designed for a
>>> specific
>>> operating system. By design, such programs prevent the use of later
>>> versions. Typically, these programs are system tools (such as antivirus,
>>> firewall, CD-burning, disk management, or backup software) that run at a
>>> very low kernel mode. These programs can cause serious problems if you
>>> install them.]]
>>> How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:eXHCr%23EpFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>>> Barry <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> hunted and
>>> pecked:

Well, I am not going to take the test. It's obvious that I can't pass it.
;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uyLUOXJpFHA.3036@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>> a shot to try them. There are probably no XP versions of those games
>> anyway.
>>
>> D. As stated ME scanner drivers are not going to work in XP. Gonna have
>> buy a new scanner, the manufacturer is *not* going to have drivers for
>> the scanner.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ejWVBUFpFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Barry <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> hunted and
>> pecked:
>>> Hi Sorry Wes I don't follow at all,
>>>
>>> Upgrade the system tools to a newer version but not the AV software, but
>>> by your quoted documentation both are not suitable for use in
>>> compatibility mode (if they are designed for previous Windows versions).

C may crash your system but won't trash your data. B may trash your data.

You need to understand that only MS's opinion matter. And it is their marketing dept that decides the correct answer. If MS say that you should buy XP for extra stability, even if you actually bought it because it was required to run a program, then the ONLY correct answer is "extra stability". You reason, despite being a real example of "program compatability", is not the correct answer because MS didn't say it.

So don't think (unless you think identicle to MS Marketing), memorise by rote. That is what is required.

PS Never try to impress me with a claim you have an MS qualification. They are worthless.

"Barry" <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:ulDaGPFpFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> safe to install using an application compatibility mode.
>>> B. Correct You should not use an application compatibility mode to force
>>> system tools to work-particularly those that interface with the hard disk
>>> or CD-ROM drive.
>>> C. Incorrect Unless the software manufacturer specifically states that
>>> the
>>> product functions with Windows XP, you should not use antivirus software
>>> designed for previous versions of Windows.
>>> D. Incorrect If the software includes drivers for the scanner, it is not
>>> likely that the Windows Me drivers will work under Windows XP. However,
>>> the software is safe to install. If the scanner does not function, you
>>> may need to download drivers written for Windows XP.

> Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully if

Only if it is listed in the MS course guide. If it isn't it is wrong. This is testing rote memorisation. One has either memorised something or one hasn't. The qualification are worthless (except to certify one's biological memory).
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:etJVWwFpFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:58:01 +0100, Barry wrote:
>
>> Thanks Sharon,
>>
>> Thought I was loosing it there for a second.
>>

>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> I'm with you : B and C would both be correct answers. Seems to me that the
>>> explanation for C in the answer section contradicts the "incorrect"
>>> designation.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
>
> Tests are so odd. Sometimes there is a best answer and a better answer. So
> if this was a real test question - what is the difference between B and C
> that makes B the "correct" answer according to the guide?
>
> The only difference I see in the explanations is that antivirus should
> definitely be upgraded - don't even think about running compatibility mode.
>
> While the explanation for B slip slides around the possibility of running
> in compatibility mode, concluding that the better decision is "don't do it"
> based on the presence of disk utilities. I think that both you and I see
> this app in the same category as antivirus and there is no slip sliding as
> to what should be done with it: The only "system tools" that should be used
> are those written for the system that they will be used with.
>
> Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully if
> you answered C and it was marked wrong.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Barry

I don't want to keep going on about this but...

I'm learning from the book and going by that, and it does specifically state
the following in Chapter 6 lesson 1.
When Not to Use Compatibility Modes
Program compatibility modes are not meant for all programs. For example, you
should never use a program compatibility mode to force system tools (such as
antivirus or CD- burning software) that are written for another operating
system to work on Windows XP. System tools such as these run in the Win32
Subsystem kernel mode and can cause serious problems if installed and run
incorrectly. System tools include but are not limited to the following:

Antivirus software
Firewalls
CD-burning software
Backup utilities
Disk management software
Disk partitioning software
When in doubt, purchase a newer version or an upgrade to the software, or do
not install it.

Which is basically the whole reason why I'm asking. I appreciate what have
said David, I'm quite willing to simply memorise the course but as long as I
know it's not contradicting itself, mistakes can be made and going by the
course this seems to be one of them (regardless of how the problem would be
approached in real life).

As for MS qualifications being worthless, well, that's as may be, however it
doesn't stop me needing one for just about every IT job (or even technical
support job) going in my neck of the woods at the moment.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:59:00 +0100, Barry wrote:

> I don't want to keep going on about this but...
>
> I'm learning from the book and going by that, and it does specifically state
> the following in Chapter 6 lesson 1.

Barry, is there a contact number in the study guide? You could use it to
alert them to the incongruity of the answers for this question.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:35:32 +1000, David Candy wrote:

>> Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully
>> if you answered C and it was marked wrong.
>
> Only if it is listed in the MS course guide. If it isn't it is wrong.
> This is testing rote memorisation. One has either memorised something or
> one hasn't. The qualification are worthless (except to certify one's
> biological memory).

Point taken about these tests being a memory exercise rather than a test of
ability and knowledge. Unfortunately, examples such as this expose the
weaknesses in the certification process.

--

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Do you want the bit of paper or do you want to be right. You can't have both. MS quals are not PhDs. They are multiple choice and show you at least heard of the subject.

"Barry" <barryhiggins3(deletethis)@(removethis)ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:%23K%23UdPJpFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> that makes B the "correct" answer according to the guide?
>>
>> The only difference I see in the explanations is that antivirus should
>> definitely be upgraded - don't even think about running compatibility
>> mode.
>>
>> While the explanation for B slip slides around the possibility of running
>> in compatibility mode, concluding that the better decision is "don't do
>> it"
>> based on the presence of disk utilities. I think that both you and I see
>> this app in the same category as antivirus and there is no slip sliding as
>> to what should be done with it: The only "system tools" that should be
>> used
>> are those written for the system that they will be used with.
>>
>> Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully if

Barry

If it means getting the job I want, I'd be prepared to take a piece of paper
over being right for the moment,

I have a BSc in Mathematics and Physics and that is no use when it comes to
employment (unless I wanted to teach, which I don't), you have to get the
qualifications the employers want, not what you want. Thats the cold hard
real life truth and I learned it the hard way.

So tell me David, what would you suggest I say to a perspective employer who
will only interview candidates with an MCSA or above? how about, "No I don't
have any Microsoft certificates, any moron with a functioning memory can get
one, but I really do about Windows...honest..."

> [...]

>> that makes B the "correct" answer according to the guide?
>>
>> The only difference I see in the explanations is that antivirus should
>> definitely be upgraded - don't even think about running compatibility
>> mode.
>>
>> While the explanation for B slip slides around the possibility of running
>> in compatibility mode, concluding that the better decision is "don't do
>> it"
>> based on the presence of disk utilities. I think that both you and I see
>> this app in the same category as antivirus and there is no slip sliding
>> as
>> to what should be done with it: The only "system tools" that should be
>> used
>> are those written for the system that they will be used with.
>>
>> Bottom line: I think this is one question you could argue successfully if

Barry

I managed to find a contact number for international editions (that I can't
get through to) and an email address to send comments to. Sent an email a
few days ago but no response yet.

I'll post if I hear anything back about it. But I won't be holding my
breath.

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:59:00 +0100, Barry wrote:
>
>> I don't want to keep going on about this but...
>>
>> I'm learning from the book and going by that, and it does specifically
>> state
>> the following in Chapter 6 lesson 1.
>
> Barry, is there a contact number in the study guide? You could use it to
> alert them to the incongruity of the answers for this question.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Barry, I'm with you! I know how difficult it is to get a job if there are so
many obstacles and so many requirements to meet. Just get certified and let
Microsoft ship you the paper. You only need it to forward to the hiring
manager, that's all!

On those books there are some links at the beginnig where you can send your
suggestions afaik. There are also a website hosted by mspress, where known
corrections about mspress books are listed. Check that too!